Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   2000 gmc Z71 tranny problem (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/2000-gmc-z71-tranny-problem-11540/)

wolf36-0090 09-29-2009 07:10 PM

2000 gmc Z71 tranny problem

i have a tranny problem waunder if anyone could help..coming home from work my motor started to rev higher on the highway. when i got to town and left from a red light i noticed it didnt shift into higher gear. i checked fuses and iol level but all were ok.. it is not slpiiping it just does not want to go above 2 gear. could this be the shift sileniod. i will go to 3 but no higher if i put it to the floor and get the revs to like 5k.. thanks

RUFFNECK4LYFE 09-30-2009 01:28 AM

Sounds like the computer is in default mode. Meaning there is an electrical problem and needing repair so the tranny stays in those gears to kepp from ruining. Ive seen this before and it ended up being the ignition switch in the column. That ignition switch powers the tranny's electrical and when it builds up too much restistance and goes bad, then what you are experiencing happens. So check there. Need to check the power wire going to the tranny and see how many, if any, volts are feeding it.

wolf36-0090 09-30-2009 04:23 AM

hi

thanks i will check that out after work

wolf36-0090 09-30-2009 06:05 PM

took it to the garage today to have them look at it while i was at work..tranny is shot 3/4 are completely gone so now i need to have it rebuild..i have rebuilt many many motors before but not a tranny but i guess this will be my first since high school lol....i was looking at complete rebuild kits for the 4L60 and the 4L60E which one would i have it is a 2000 GMC Z71 with a 5.3lt. i dont have the $1200 to have it done there so i guess u will prob hear alot of questions from me lol...thanks for the reply

RUFFNECK4LYFE 09-30-2009 07:45 PM

Dam that sux! Well here are some videos to help you understand how it goes together. And if you get the rebuild book, and know how to tune up a motor, I think you can do it. There is a guy on here who can help you with it as he has done this same thing. You might find him on the silverado forum. His name is chris I think....

wolf36-0090 10-02-2009 09:55 PM

i have the tranny out and am looking for a rebuild kit. should i replace the sprags even if they look good while it is out, and do i even need to touch the valve body.most of the kits i have seen have the cluches with the alto steels. and do i need to replace the pistons or are they something that last a long time..i will put up picks when i do get the kit on the progress..and what would be the average time to rebuild it after it is taken out.

RUFFNECK4LYFE 10-02-2009 10:11 PM

You can get a shift kit for the valve body. Some just drill out the passages to bigger holes for increased pressure. The valve body has a lot of parts to it so you might need to run a camcorder to remember where the parts go. Get a corvette servo for bout 20 bucks and change that out. It gives firmer faster shifts, especially from 1-2. Saves wear on the bands. Take your time, having patients is key. Learning the hard way sux, but experience is the best teacher! By the way, what kind of trash or debris did you notice if you have already from the damage?

RUFFNECK4LYFE 10-02-2009 10:14 PM

Also, call a tranny shop or go up there and chat wit some of the guys and get some info as to what to look for. I do tons of research before I do hands on. Good luck and hope it goes great!!

wolf36-0090 10-09-2009 11:07 PM

hi another question.got the rebuild kit for the tranny... have the tranny just about to come out but i can not seem to get the front drive shaft out.transer case is all unbolted and just need to get the front drive shaft out in order to move it back enough to drop the tranny

ChevMan92 11-07-2009 08:53 AM

tranny problem

if i were you, i would put in a 4L80E heavy duty trans. because those 4L60E trannys are junk. a lot of bad things about them. usually 2nd, 4th and reverse go out. when mine goes out there won't be another light duty trans. in there