Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Question: installing a flashlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Default Question: installing a flashlight

Hello everyone, this is my first post, glad to be here.

I just purchased a 2009 Silverado Crew Cab after having a 1992 Silverado for many years. Talk about a different animal, whew.

I had a small Streamlight flashlight with 12v charging cradle installed in my old Silverado and am trying to figure out where to tap into some power. It was pretty easy on the old truck at the fuse box, but I have no idea where to look for an ignition controlled power accessory type connection. I was trying to keep from using one of the two cigarette lighter plugs because of them being on the front of the dash and did not want a wire hanging off of the dash all the time. I found the fuse box in the cab next to the door but it did not look like it has an accessory post. Any help greatly appreciated.

tks

Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 AM

If I remember right there is an outlet in the center console. (If you have it) Then you could just tap off of it's leads under the center console's plastic. I am sure somebody has taken their console apart already!

The other thing is that I am not sure if they are switched sources. Need further guidance on that one. I haven't been able to play around with the newest of the model years.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Yes, there is one under the console but its all the time hot, does not go off with the ignition.

Tks

Old 08-13-2009, 03:39 PM

This is going to get a little more complicated! You will have to tap into something that is on only when the key is on. The sterio would be close and should have an switched source. It may be on a little longer after the key turns off though. After that I would go to the fuse box and find something that would work.

Good luck friend!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Tks, thats kinda what I was afraid of, I am a little squemish about messing with wiring in a brand new truck, don't want to go and disable something important.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Go get a "add a fuse" line at the parts store. You just take a fuse out and put this splitter in and you now have a hot line ready... http://www.autobarn.net/atc-line.html

Old 08-14-2009, 06:33 AM

Great idea, I have not messed with vehicle electrical in so long I did not even know they made something like this. Looks like a full size fuse under the hood, since the fuse box in the cab are those tiny fuses.

Tks

Old 08-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah they make em for mini fuses too.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 PM

Whatever you do, don't cut the green wire. Just kidding, sounds like good advise I'd try it.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
Yeah they make em for mini fuses too.
Cool, I will see if I can find one locally or order one if I can't. tks

Hey bigredmariner, lol, it might set off the bomb eh

Quick Reply: Question: installing a flashlight