Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2005 GMC - steering column

Old 04-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Default 2005 GMC - steering column

My 05 has a knocking in the steering. You can't hear it but you can feel it. The dealership said that there isn't anything they can do at this point until GM come up with a solution to the problem. I'm pissed. Anybody else hear about this or have this problem?

Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 AM
Default RE: 2005 GMC - steering column

I too have a "05" that I’ve started to notice as having a mild knock occasionally during steering. The speeds of the turn combined with the surface of the road seem to make a slight difference as to when I feel the vibration. My truck is equipped with the Z71 package. I’m not sure if the off road package allows the vibration to be felt through the steering column on ruff surfaces. I have felt more severe vibrations while driving a friend’s Nissan Titan equipped with an off-road package. The big difference between the vehicles is that I felt the vibrations in the Nissan during straight-a-way driving. Nissan claimed it was it’s heavy-duty off road package causing this.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:11 PM
BD

I've got the same issue on my '05 Sierra. It is actually in the GMC shop today. If any thing enlightening comes of the visit, I will post it.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 PM

I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 4WD and it has the same problem. I noticed it shortly after buying it new, and it has gotten worse since then. My brother also has a 2005 1500 4WD standard cab, and he did not have the knock problem in his steering at first, or for about a year, but now it is also showing up!

I called my dealer where I bought my truck, and mentioned that my brother is beginning to have the problem as well, and told them that I was guessing that this must be a common factory defect. They told me to bring it in tomarrow, and they'll fix it for me, no problem.

They said that they'll be adding some kind of lubrication seal kit, or something to that effect, and that the problem is common with the "intermediate" steering shaft. I will post more after the fix.

She may be vague, but I'll have them show me what they do to fix the problem. It will be covered under my 3yr / 36,000 mi. warranty.

Regards,

Bill

Old 09-30-2006, 03:10 PM

I have an 03 2500 4x4 and it does do it. Unfortunatly they came out with a repair for it after it ran out of warranty. There is a TSB on the issue, it is the intemediate steering column shaft under the hood. Have your dealer check TSBs

Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 PM

YA in my 02, its the intermediate column its collapsable in case of an accident. had mine (re-packed with grease) and it was ok for a while then i had it replaced, know off of warranty its back. I looked myself and i dont see any place for grease, but was actually planning on taking off that boot on the firewall this weekend and having a better look. I know people that own fords with similar problems and it was an easy fix with a shim. Hopw GM is tthe same way, but dont let them fool you its an old problem , and it can be fixed.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 PM

I don't know if this will help but i have a 02 Sierra 2wd and it had a knock when i turned at any kind of speed. It was so small it was hardly noticable. Turns out it was a bad wheel bearing.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Default RE: 2005 GMC - steering column -PERSISTS

Has anyone heard of a real solution for this problem? I have heard that this problem has been around for years and there might be an aftermarket shaft available. Mine started knocking going around on on ramp curves, at about 17K miles, about 1 1/2 yrs old. They replaced the shaft and it was obvious that it was common fix on these trucks. Another 1 1/2 yrs and at 34K miles it did the same thing (2006). Dealer then said there was a 'new' fix and they just grease it. That lasted another 4Kmiles and 6 months. It is back again!

If anyone has experience on the aftermarket shaft, let us know.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Default RE: 2005 GMC - steering column -PERSISTS

I have a 2003 Sierra Z71 and have just replaced the intermediate shaft for the THIRD TIME ! The shaft I received is supposed to be a redesigned shaft and should not cause further failures according to the dealers. I'll let you know. The replacement if simple and only requires the removal of two bolts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 GMC - steering column