Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

so at lunch today i did a little checking over my truck

Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default so at lunch today i did a little checking over my truck

i opened the antifreeze cap on the radiator and nothin nada no freaking coolant
so i got some from work filled her up then im gonna check later
i went and priced a radiator for my truck $229.90 for an aluminum radiator with plastic tanks

my reason for this post is
does anyone make a radiator with all aluminum not the cheap plastic tanks
they break and go bad really easy
anyway i will be doing a coolant flush as the radiator inside is brownish rusty color
after that i will be repalcing the radiator
as the orings on the tank are probably shot
cheaper to buy new then to have rebuilt

Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'm curious to know why you're thinking it's the radiator in the first place. If you flush it out, and coolant flows through it, and it's not leaking, why would you want to replace it? Personally, I'd be more worried about the hoses going out. But I'm sure you know your truck well

Also, no clue about the radiator question. As far as I know, mine's either original or a duralast.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by NullHead
I'm curious to know why you're thinking it's the radiator in the first place. If you flush it out, and coolant flows through it, and it's not leaking, why would you want to replace it? Personally, I'd be more worried about the hoses going out. But I'm sure you know your truck well

Also, no clue about the radiator question. As far as I know, mine's either original or a duralast.
lol ive repeatedly checked my hoses and cant find a single sign of a leak
i do notice when i start my truck pop the hood and look at the driver side of the radiator and wow its all brownish color and i can see coolant comeing out i think possibly its the tanks as the pass side started
also i am thinking it has been replaced as someone put what apears to be a screen from a screen door on the front of the radiator just behind the grill ????? why i dont know

Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 PM
TruckForum Addict

Maybe to try to keep bugs out? Leaves?

Honestly, I'd just go for an easy to acquire/cheap one. such as this. Has a lifetime warranty too.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 PM
TruckForum Addict

i think im just gonna go with the one oreillys has me priced for it also has a lifetime warrenty
i just dont trust plastic on anything in that gets really hot l

Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Don't be afraid of plastic they last a very long time. You can go high end like Be Cool radiators if you want to drop $300 or so on one. It is all aluminum, but honestly if you replace yours with what the factory used and add a trans cooler you should be just fine. I was talking to a friend of mine tonight who just had his trans rebuilt by a local guy who has a very good reputation. He straight out told my buddy if he didn't have a trans cooler added to his F-150 he would not even touch it. He said there are certain transmissions that he does that with - I would bet the 4L60E is on that list. It isn't that the guy is trying to jack up the price either he charged him less than $100 extra for a trans cooler installed. That's a great deal!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 PM
TruckForum Addict

@ shamrock
oriellys priced me at 229.90 for a 2 core aluminum radiator
also my truck has a trans cooler
but i think im gonna get the 2 core
it should last longer then my truck will but i am gonna have to start learning to trust plastic as most cars and trucks are using plastic everything from timing chain sprockets to valve covers so its time to get up to times i guess

Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 AM

I'd be less concerned with the plastic issue and more concerned about a 2core radiator. I don't know if you do much towing but if so, bigger is better. I'd be hitting junkyards for a 4 core

Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

@ dragon i do moderate towing if my work needs me to
i am trying to locate the best posibly radiator i can get
i have founda couple 4 cores from 70-80 chevy trucks but none of them have the oil cooler lines and trans coolor lines going to it