Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   98 chevy issue. I'm going to set it on fire if someone can't help me. (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/98-chevy-issue-im-going-set-fire-if-someone-cant-help-me-15749/)

honestblades 02-20-2011 08:59 AM

Well I have had 4 days to drive the truck now since replacing the alternator. It squeels briefly on start up, and then goes away. I give up. Anyone want to buy a chevy truck?

honestblades 02-20-2011 09:21 AM

I put a few pictures of my jeep on here. They are under the offroad section. They are titled " My redneck jeep"

Mr_Shamrock 02-20-2011 11:29 AM

I have done a little more research on this topic and the only other thing I have found is a similar situation from another forum that was finally resolved by using a goodyear gatorback belt and another thread that said the user simply marked the direction his belt was going and removed it and ran it the opposite way. Not sure what that would do, but simple enough to give it a try.

honestblades 02-20-2011 01:34 PM

Like I said its only for a brief time after I start the truck. I'm sure that eventually it will start to do the same bs all the time. I'll try running the belt the opposite direction and see what it does. I'm honestly just fed up with it,and I'm wanting another truck. I'll go with a ford this time. I've had nothing but problems out of chevrolets starting with the first one that I ever purchased.Thanks for all of the help.

Mr_Shamrock 02-20-2011 04:56 PM

A buddy of mine is in town and I mentioned your issue to him and he mentioned the balancer - there is a rubber section in the balancer that can strip out and cause slipping. He said you can take a sharpie and draw a line across it, take it out and drive it and then see if the line is still lined up across it. That is one thing I never thought about.

honestblades 02-20-2011 07:58 PM

I don't understand what you mean by draw a line across it.

Mr_Shamrock 02-21-2011 06:47 AM

On the face of the crank pulley put a straight edge on it and draw a line from one side to the other. Then drive the truck and recheck - if the line is no longer connected all the way across then you know the outer surface is slipping from the mounting area. Apparantly there is a rubber ring that is in between the 2 that he has seen get brittle and start slipping. I have never seen it, but my friend is a full time mechanic and has seen a lot more than I have. He is always my go to guy when I can't figure something out. He also mentioned the gatorback belts.

jimboflies 02-21-2011 08:25 AM

Had the same exact problem on an S10/v6 . Tried belt dressing made it worse. Ended up taking the belt off and cleaning all of the pully`s with carb cleaner .Have to do a real thorogh job but it will work if the pully`s are cleaned off .

honestblades 02-21-2011 09:41 AM

I tried that a long time ago,and belt dressing also made mine alot worse. Every other vehicle that I have used belt dressing on ended up quieting down,except for this one. I've cleaned all of the pulleys more than once. I even used q-tips to get in real deep. Right now the belt squeels very briefly on start up,and thats it. Earlier this morning it squeeled when I first started it,and squeeled when I started it again to leave the gas station. But when I was ready to leave my next distination,it didn't squeel a bit on start up.