Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   98 Silverado gas mileage? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/98-silverado-gas-mileage-186/)

gonefishin84 02-15-2005 02:13 AM

98 Silverado gas mileage?

I just recently purchased a 98 C1500 Silverado. Its got the 350 and im wondering how to get the best gas mileage out of it possible, right now im getting around 13-14 mpg city and probably 18-20 on highway. The mixture of the two i got 271 miles on 21 gallons. Ive heard headers and exhaust could improve gas mileage. Any truth to that? If so whats the best system to go with?

Thanks in advance

Mattyj 02-28-2005 10:26 PM

RE: 98 Silverado gas mileage?

Well thats about whta i get with my grandpas silverado so i mena that pretty normal.

greydemon 09-12-2005 03:22 AM

18-20 mpg on highway? thats not too shabby, i don't think my 5.3L even gets that, i do have a lead foot though. They do say if you put an intake, exhaust, mass air flow sensor, headers and a bunch of other goodies your "supposed" to get better gas milage, it didn't work for me because the more stuff i put on my truck, the faster it made it and the faster i drove it. sorry not much help

radioflyer 09-15-2005 11:40 AM

I have a 97 silverado and I installed a dual aftermarket system with a pair of 40 series flowmasters. I also installed a K&N filter. if you're goign to install exhaust, make sure you get the system you REALLY want (if you can't afford it yet. . . wait) You'll notice an improvement in mileage and power. As far as other accessories (mass airflow sensors, electric fans etc) they do provide better economy but not that noticable. It's more important to keep your vehicle maintained (oil, transmission, fuel mixture and basic tune ups) . . . One more thought, If you're getting an aftermarket exhaust, make sure the piping allows you to access the transmission pan easily.

alumawerx 09-18-2005 09:27 PM

I have a '05 sierra with 5.3 and I have had really good luck with a flo-pro muffler called twister.
1000 yards out of the shop I showed 2.5 mile better in town and around 19.8 on the hwy at around 70 mph. next is the k&n 77 cold air intake

huntintruck 09-21-2005 10:52 AM

I don't think there are very many mods, especially costly ones that are cost affective. Some modifications, especially air filters are only perceived, someone adds these, and then subconsciously drives slower, therefore showing better gas mileage. I have spent a lot of time in Jeep forums where the air filter conversions are especially talked about, it probably takes several years for the air filter conversion to pay for itself, maybe shorter with the higher gas. But there is considerable proof that the high flow filters do less filtering, and cause more harm in off road conditions. So my best advice is to have a light foot, good maintenance, and when parts need replaced, go with something that will help gas mileage. But the truth in many instances is that you spend several hundred dollars to save $2.00 per week in gas, and the cumilative affect is even worse, because if you spend $1,000 on this truck, can you make it get 25 mpg. It would be lucky to get 20 mpg with headers, exhaust, air filter computer and other stuff. Just be ecstatic that you don't drive a dodge or ford right now, that decision got you 3 mpg. I have the same truck, and get the same mileage with 160,000 miles on it. The thing that gets me is that some smaller trucks with smaller engines don't get any better mileage than we are gettting.