Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   '99 silverado dash lights? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/99-silverado-dash-lights-17002/)

paintking89 07-06-2011 09:48 PM

'99 silverado dash lights?

I've seen lots of threads all over the web about this being a fairly common problem. Although, none of them ever were finished and no solution posted. My dash lights do not light up on my gauge cluster or a/c controls. I have checked obvious fuses. What should I be checking?

Thanks,

Kyle

cubpak89 07-06-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by paintking89 (Post 69078)
I've seen lots of threads all over the web about this being a fairly common problem. Although, none of them ever were finished and no solution posted. My dash lights do not light up on my gauge cluster or a/c controls. I have checked obvious fuses. What should I be checking?

Thanks,

Kyle

check the actual bulbs themselfs to do that your gonna have to tear open your dash not fun at all
or the circuit board may be fried somewhere
hope that isnt your case

paintking89 07-07-2011 02:21 PM

If the gauge cluster was bad would that affect the a/c controls as well? I figured they were seperate and something else may be the culprit.

Mr_Shamrock 07-07-2011 05:34 PM

No, the A/C controls have their own little bulbs that burn out. There are numerous places that you can send the cluster to have the bulbs replaced or you can solder in new ones yourself. Your truck will still run and do everything it needs to with the cluster out if that is the way you decide to go.

paintking89 07-08-2011 11:45 AM

Are you suggesting that every bulb on the gauge cluster and a/c controls are burnt out? I would think it would be more likely that that is another issue causing both sets of lights to not operate. I'm just trying to clarify.

Thanks,

Kyle

cubpak89 07-08-2011 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by paintking89 (Post 69125)
Are you suggesting that every bulb on the gauge cluster and a/c controls are burnt out? I would think it would be more likely that that is another issue causing both sets of lights to not operate. I'm just trying to clarify.

Thanks,

Kyle

i dont think thats what he means
i think he means if one bulb goes bad it could cause all to not work as that means the curcuit is shorted on on the curcuit board
maybe a loose wire on it where it could have shaken loose the solder that holds it on

Mr_Shamrock 07-08-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by paintking89 (Post 69125)

Thanks,

Kyle

My bad I didn't understand that ALL the bulbs went out at the same time. Does the radio light up? Possible dimmer switch issue maybe.

paintking89 07-11-2011 09:03 AM

Radio is aftermarket put in by previous owner. It lights up. Maybe they messed something up during the install?

tasutt2009 07-11-2011 10:14 AM

Before removing your instrament cluster, check the fuse panel first.

HahaJK 07-11-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by paintking89 (Post 69223)
Radio is aftermarket put in by previous owner. It lights up. Maybe they messed something aftermarket parts up during the install?

Yea they could of clipped a wire they weren't supposed to.