Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

How to run wiring to a tool box???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Question How to run wiring to a tool box???

I'm getting a weatherguard 127-0-02 crossbed toolbox and it has a port to run 12v power through it so I can have cordless tools charging in there. Does anyone have any idea of how to wire it? Thanks for you help.

WEATHER GUARD Saddle Truck Tool Boxes

Old 04-23-2011, 03:18 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Well........if you read the instruction pdf it tells you how to do it.......now that being said........those are for 110v wiring using an extension cord. 12v wiring is pretty simple and takes a little common sense....If you need help with the 12v let us know.....someone can help im sure.

Here is a link for the instructions...........http://www.weatherguard.com/pdfs/get_doc.php?pdf_id=167

Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 PM

i was wondering if theres a way to basically hardwire it to the car so i can just kind of charge without running an extension cord to my house or something like that. I dont even know if this is possible, but figured Id ask on here because someone on here has an answer to everything. Thanks

Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 PM

as long as you have the 12v stuff to charge with then yeah.......you can hard wire to the truck....where depends on what year truck you have.....post the info and we will see what we can do for ya!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 PM

2005 chevy silverado--v6 4x2 8' bed reg cab. So if I use 18v tools this would be useless?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:41 PM

yeah pretty much...unless you bought an inverter to charge them with. So it would be 12v to the inverter and the inverter would convert to the standard 110v plug and charger. I can draw you a schematic and email it to you if needed. The power source is the fuse box under the hood with the bolts on it...use an eyelet and a nut to attach it.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Administrator

I would just run your power under the truck with your trailer wiring inside of the frame rails until you get to the box, from there I'd run it up through the box side and out through the stake pocket. You can run a ground straight down to the frame rail the same way.

It would be a pretty slick setup if you had the inverter built in to the toolbox too.

(I might suggest adding a second battery if you plan on using this a lot... they're quite helpful)

Old 04-23-2011, 11:25 PM

Where do I get an inverter? What kind of price am I looking at? How does installing a second battery work? Sorry guys I don't know squat about electronics. Thanks for helping. I like the idea of running the wires under the body alot

Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Beginner

The maker of my 18volt cordless tools makes an in-vehicle charger that runs off 12v. Maybe search your tool manufacturers website for accessories. If using the charger a lot then set up a second truck battery with an isolater.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Installing a battery:

1. Find a place where you can place the second battery, whether it be an already installed battery tray or you have to fabricate/buy your own battery tray. Mine already had one so I'm not sure where you'd get one.
2. Measure the cable distance between positive terminals on your new battery and your old battery, then measure the distance between the new ground terminal and the nearest point on the frame that you can bolt to for ground. (I used the bolt that holds on the ABS connector on the driver side, pulled it out and just slipped the ground eye right up snug to the frame)
3. IMPORTANT: when buying the cables, pay the extra for 6ga cable and give yourself at least an extra foot (you'll need it) How you tie your cables up is your choice, just get em out of the way. It's hard to tell if it's working or not, but what i did is ran it for a couple weeks like that, then unhooked the original battery and tapped the accessory wires to the original battery wires to see if the under hood light comes on.

I would reccommend that you purchase a duralast battery at autozone(I've found them to be the best value; even better if you can find an old battery to turn in as core) adn purchase the cables at NAPA. (idk why, but they areliterally half the price of anywhere else)

As far as the inverter goes, anything like this will work, you can find them at most big box stores and electronics stores alike: http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CJcBEPMCMAE#

Last edited by GMCSierraFan; 04-24-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: forgot about inverter!

Quick Reply: How to run wiring to a tool box???