Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   adding speed and power to 4wd (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/adding-speed-power-4wd-2677/)

allamericanman666 02-26-2007 02:38 AM

adding speed and power to 4wd

is there any thing smart and safe i can do to add power and speed to my 2003 silverado short bed short cab 4.8 4wd with out messing any thing up any criticism will help guys

MrLM7 02-26-2007 07:42 AM

RE: adding speed and power to 4wd

How much do you want to spend?

allamericanman666 02-26-2007 02:31 PM

dont know just looking for ideas

BigTexasChevy 02-26-2007 03:34 PM

What do you mean "without messing anything up?" MrLM7 asked a very important question, because it is based on what you are willing to spend.

With that said, start with the basics and work up from there. I would start with a cold air intake and dual exhaust system. Those two mods alone will give you decent horsepower. After that, its all based on what you want to spend. There are a couple sections in here where there are disscussions about increasing horsepower that may be of intrest to you. Good luck and let us know if you need anymore help.

allamericanman666 02-26-2007 05:53 PM

well i have heard that adding speed and power to a 4wd will complicate things can you shed some light on that by any chance

SC_Chevy_Lover 02-26-2007 07:16 PM

It's not going to complicate things unless you abuse it. For example, don't go 90mph while you're engaged in 4 Hi. What exactly did the guys say that told you adding additional horsepower would create problems? Trust me friend, there are 4WD trucks out there with over 1000hp. The only thing it complicates is your bank account, because performance mods can cost a **** load. You should read some of the other forums and get some ideas about adding hp and torque as BigTex suggested. Hey bro,your stock motor is capable of a lot more power than you think. Good luck and let us know if we can further help.

allamericanman666 02-26-2007 11:01 PM

hey that helps out alot i really do appreciate that and your right it does complicate your bank account but im gonna start small with the cold air intake and work my way up

SC_Chevy_Lover 02-26-2007 11:16 PM

Cool bro! Let us know how everything turns out.

smoke20 02-27-2007 01:38 AM

Just FYI - I started with CAI, then headers. Next is throttle body, throtttle body coolant bypass, hotter wires and plugs, then exhaust, then reprogram. Already completed upgrades gave great advantages as I have posted.

allamericanman666 02-27-2007 03:24 PM

hey i appreciate all the good criticism if theres ever any thing else give me a holler im kinda new at doing mods to trucks i had a ricer but i finely found that ricers are for boys with there parents money trucks is where it is all at