Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

No Reverse lights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Beginner
Angry No Reverse lights!!!

So i have had my truck for about 7months now and ever since my brother in-law owned it it's never had reverse lights at all. So i have checked all fuses under the hood, dash, also checked the socket/wires for reverse and nothing no power at all. The fuses are all good and im lost there are no recalls that i know of for the reverse lights so idk what to do.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM
TruckForum Addict

Welll ... no offense here, but did you check the bulbs? I'll see if I can get a wiring diagram and see if I can help.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Beginner

Lol Null,

Now i would of never thought of that one lol. Yeah that was the first thing I checked. I went from the bulbs to the wires from the rear to the front then the fuses. All other lights on the rear work even the cargo lamp. I just dont understand this at all. The first owner said they stopped working about 2 months b4 my brother in-law bought the truck then i bought it so i guess its a lost cause...

Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
TruckForum Addict

What's the year/model/2 or 4 wheel drive/engine size of your truck so I can look it up. I'll go with 2002 1500 z71 4x4 for now :P

Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
TruckForum Addict

Okay here's what I see in this wiring diagram:

12V+ feeds the circuit at the B/U LP 25A fuse (hot in run or start), goes through your PNP/Neutral switch (located on left side of transmission), then goes up and feeds your VEH B/U 15A fuse (under hood fuse block), then runs 12V up to a junction block "in front of rear bumper on crossmember" then off to tail lights. The system is grounded to your spare tire hoist. First thing I would check is that ground. Make sure it's clean. If that's not it, follow what I said (if you can follow it :P) back up the system to the neutral safety switch.

With the truck in reverse, you should have 12V on the pink wire while the truck is in reverse only. If you do not have 12V at the pink wire on your neutral safety switch while the truck is in reverse, then your problem is the 25A B/U LP fuse, or the wire leading to it. I suggest you attach your volt meter to a good known ground while you make your tests. Even if you make a long jumper wire to attach your multimeter right to the battery ground, that is fine.

All of the wires past your neutral safety switch (Which is on the transmission) back to the lights, is light green. Your ground wires off of the lights are black.

Let me know if I can clarify anything ... good luck!

Last edited by NullHead; 01-03-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
Okay here's what I see in this wiring diagram:

12V+ feeds the circuit at the B/U LP 25A fuse (hot in run or start), goes through your PNP/Neutral switch (located on left side of transmission), then goes up and feeds your VEH B/U 15A fuse (under hood fuse block), then runs 12V up to a junction block "in front of rear bumper on crossmember" then off to tail lights. The system is grounded to your spare tire hoist. First thing I would check is that ground. Make sure it's clean. If that's not it, follow what I said (if you can follow it :P) back up the system to the neutral safety switch.

With the truck in reverse, you should have 12V on the pink wire while the truck is in reverse only. If you do not have 12V at the pink wire on your neutral safety switch while the truck is in reverse, then your problem is the 25A B/U LP fuse, or the wire leading to it. I suggest you attach your volt meter to a good known ground while you make your tests. Even if you make a long jumper wire to attach your multimeter right to the battery ground, that is fine.

All of the wires past your neutral safety switch (Which is on the transmission) back to the lights, is light green. Your ground wires off of the lights are black.

Let me know if I can clarify anything ... good luck!
Null that is a great write up and much appreciated. Ill run through all of it again this weekend when i have my truck in the garage. Thanks again...