Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Argon...the good,the bad,and the ugly (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/argon-good-bad-ugly-6007/)

Argon 01-28-2008 04:35 PM

Argon...the good,the bad,and the ugly

(Edit...this thread title was changed)

it seems this forum is becoming more and more anti-dealer.And thats cool..I'm a big boy and can go with the flow.

It seems as though much of anything I post draws criticism nowdays though,so I'll respectfully leave it to you fellows here.
i'll still be around checking in fairly often,so feel free to pm me or e-mail me any REAL automotive questions,especially GM.
I began here because this place was DEAD as scchevy,mrlm7,smoke and others can attest...like 2 posts a day dead...thanks to the likes of 72 chareger,jcb and all the others,this place has really taken off.i want to see it continue to grow and be a valuable recource,aso ya'll keep it up..
and again,pm me with any issues..thanks again

Steve Clark...tech since 1982,at a dealer since 1987

72charger 01-28-2008 05:36 PM

RE: Argon is gonna back off

Sorry to see you feel that way Steve.

I'm somewhere in between to be honest with you. I worked at 2 different dealerships for a small amount of time and I know the pros and cons to them. Granted every dealership is different. The technicians usually have a much better idea about the particular types of vehicles they work on from a day to day basis than the local shops including the "speed" shops. They also know the correct way things should be done. The bad side is, they charge for that so it's nearly unreasonable to have your vehicle worked on at the dealership unless your in the higher income bracket. I also know that despite being highly trained and educated professionals, dealership techs make just as many mistakes as local shops do(especially true at the Dodge dealer I worked at).

However, I do highly appreciate anyone with actual hands on experience that is willing to help out the "do it yourself" buffs with free knowledge and insider tips. Especially dealer techs!

hunt4game29 01-28-2008 06:00 PM

Just hang in there a little bit longer argon. I am tring to talk to the people who are in charge to change this site up a little. Thanks for all your help when it came to my truck i will all ways trust a 20 year gm tech in a heart beat. Thanks matt

chevyrules 01-28-2008 06:38 PM

Hey Steve, Just ran across this. I respect your decision, and you have always been there for me, even tho my Silverado NEVER needs to get fixed. [sm=smiley2.gif] Yeah, i wish... I have always been treated with respect @ my local Chevy dealership, and had bought many vehicles, between my wife and I, from the dealership. I was on a 1st name basis, and tho i had (1) big tiff with them many years ago, they have always stood behind their work and actually gone above and beyond their call of duty, at times, and i respect them for that. Yes, their hourly Labor rates are high, but with any bussiness, if ya have a large overhead, ya gotta charge more than these other rinky dink dealers who don't have asbig of an overhead, and can charge a lower hourly rate. Then ya got your backyard mechanics, who sometimes think they know it all, and i feel like if they know it all, why aren't they an actual GM TECH? I have a few friends that i wish they did work as a GM TECH, as they know their @@@@, and then theres some that, pfffft, i wouldn't let em change the tire on my wheelbarrow. I call it the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY. They don't call them GMTECHS just because they work on GM's, but because they cared enuf to do all kinds of schooling, spend ALOT of $$$$ to find out the latest and greatest how to's, and thousands of dollars just in tools, and they have to constantly upgrade their tools when GM decides to be bigger and better with their ideas. I think this forum is an awesome source of information and i believe it don't matter where you go, if someone says do it this way, there will be two more to say, no, do it this way. Hang in there ARGON........ Better days are coming.......... Jim

72charger 01-28-2008 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: chevyrules

I think this forum is an awesome source of information and i believe it don't matter where you go, if someone says do it this way, there will be two more to say, no, do it this way.
That's just human nature. And what would the point be in conversation if there weren't multiple ideas and opinions? If everyone thought the same there would be no reason to have a forum. You could just take one guy who knows it all, have him post answers to everyone's questions, and be on your merry way. Ya know? Just makes things more interesting to have debates/arguments. That just my .02 cents worth though.

JakeSilverado 01-28-2008 09:51 PM

Sometimes i will log on to the site just to see if you have made any new post. You have helped me more then you even know, Ive done searches to see if anyone has had the same problems as me and if anyone has had the answer, and 9 times out of 10 it's you that had the answer, from TCC solenoid problems to a sticky gas pedal, you helped me out. Thanks buddy. I know you wont be able to sit back and watch people give retarded information, so stick around. Jake

rxsteven 01-28-2008 10:46 PM

I feel the same way as JakeSilveradotheir has been many times I went to you're profile just to see were you're posting.

I mean if you can't trust a GM tech who can you trust.

popo 01-29-2008 12:18 AM

no doubt there will always be "haters" but that is no reason to pack up and leave. I guess we will just have to start destroying the people that are knocking you. i agree with the rest of the guys. You shouldn't feel unappreciated but if you leave, good luck and I appreciate all the advise.

Argon 01-29-2008 03:00 AM

I know there are lots of guys here who do appreciate it..its not that i'm thin-skinned and sensitive,it just seems that lately its always critical...but....maybe its just a bad run...so i'll give ermore time..

dealer techs are an odd bunch..why?...we put up with a lot.service managers,customers,factory reps...we get all the jobs the other shops pass on,and have no choice but to fix it,often at reduced labor times for warranty.it takes a certain type of guy to be able to handle all that...often a guy with an attitude is what ya get...lol...

72charger 01-29-2008 10:41 AM

+1 there!^