Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   blower resistor and harness upgrade... (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/blower-resistor-harness-upgrade-16708/)

dannyman 05-28-2011 08:02 PM

blower resistor and harness upgrade...

I see a lot of references to an increased wire guage for the blower resistor harness.

What I can't find is details of the harness upgrade. Does anyone know what needs to be done or if the harness needs replacing(if so; part #); as the blower resistor replacement is on my short-list?

Thanks

Dan

Mr_Shamrock 05-29-2011 04:47 PM

It's very simple and available from the dealer. You basically just cut your harness and use butt connectors to wire in the new one. It is just a pig tail not the complete harness.

dannyman 05-29-2011 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock (Post 67737)
It's very simple and available from the dealer. You basically just cut your harness and use butt connectors to wire in the new one. It is just a pig tail not the complete harness.

Thanks Shamrock,

I don't mind making my own. I was hoping it was just a matter of stepping up a size or two. (ie: harness is 12 guage as opposed to 14 guage.)

I really dislike shelling out at the dealership for something I can make in my workshop/garage.

No place where GM technical recalls/data are available?

Dan

timber74wolf 05-29-2011 10:15 PM

I beleive Orieley Autoparts has the stuff too, but at cheaper prices. Hope this helps.

cubpak89 05-30-2011 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by timber74wolf (Post 67746)
I beleive Orieley Autoparts has the stuff too, but at cheaper prices. Hope this helps.

i get all my parts i mean all that they sell from oreillys
i get my body parts from a junk yard or lmc
i have used autozone in the past and had soem bad experiances with them in the return of non working products
as they will only accept non opend items
but lie timberwolf said oreillys has what your looking for at way less then the dealership or anywebsite
they may have to order it from there wearhouse but it is worth the wait
or you could find out where there wearhouse is and go directly thru them i have done it in the past and they know there stuff
thats just my suggestion

acnas 05-31-2011 05:16 AM

Covered under special policy.

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra

Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dannyman 05-31-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by acnas (Post 67785)
Covered under special policy.

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra

Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

-

"Covered under special policy." ?

By the way, truck's a 2000.

Dan

acnas 06-01-2011 05:07 AM

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; or 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware of a condition that may affect your vehicle. The relay resistor module (which controls blower motor speed) and/or the wiring connector that powers the module may overheat during sustained blower motor operation, or if moisture and other contaminants contact the internal circuit of the module. These occurrences may result in an inoperative blower motor, or result in a blower motor that functions only on certain settings. This may be accompanied by a burning smell or smoke.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for this condition. If this condition occurs on your 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; or 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicle, equipped with a manual HVAC or heavy duty heater, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

dannyman 06-01-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by acnas (Post 67808)
Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; or 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware of a condition that may affect your vehicle. The relay resistor module (which controls blower motor speed) and/or the wiring connector that powers the module may overheat during sustained blower motor operation, or if moisture and other contaminants contact the internal circuit of the module. These occurrences may result in an inoperative blower motor, or result in a blower motor that functions only on certain settings. This may be accompanied by a burning smell or smoke.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for this condition. If this condition occurs on your 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; or 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicle, equipped with a manual HVAC or heavy duty heater, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

I'm confused. As stated earlier, my vehicle is a 2000 Sierra. Is there a duplicate Special Policy for a 2000 Sierra?

Thanks

Dan

acnas 06-02-2011 04:54 AM

I dont see anything on older models.