Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Brake Control Module keeps going out

Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Beginner
Default Brake Control Module keeps going out

Well...my brake light in my dash came on again this weekend in my 94 c1500, 2 wheel drive, 5.7ltr. truck. This will be the 3rd time within 2 years that looks like I'll have to put in another new BCM. Last two times I've taken it to shop for diagnosis and told "need new BCM". System has been bled professionally and have even installed new master cylinder. I do not use aftermarket parts. I've used AC Delco, even though they seem to be made over seas too. I'm at a lost on what else to do other than to keep putting new BCM in all the time...What could be causing this issue ? Any help out there will be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:31 PM
TruckForum Addict

I have the same issue on my 012500hd 4x4 I have never replaced it probably should but I don't have any different braking power just no abs and I pulled trailers with it a few dozen times without any braking issues

Old 08-04-2013, 12:57 PM

cubpak89, the best thing to do with ABS problems is get the codes read out.

Most problems will result in the ABS being disabled and the brakes will act like they did in the old days when we didn't have the feature. That seems to be the case with yours. But the fix might be a very easy one. Often, even the EBCM can be rebuilt at a reasonable price (under $200).

Gerald

Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM
TruckForum Addict

There is definitely an issue going on here that someone has not figured out yet. Perhaps a bad ground, or something is shorted and the BCM can't handle it.

For me personally, I would see if you can have someone read the codes on the BCM before you replace it. Also pull each connect or off of the BCM (with the key off) and look for any melted/burned terminals.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:46 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by glterpening
cubpak89, the best thing to do with ABS problems is get the codes read out.

Most problems will result in the ABS being disabled and the brakes will act like they did in the old days when we didn't have the feature. That seems to be the case with yours. But the fix might be a very easy one. Often, even the EBCM can be rebuilt at a reasonable price (under $200).

Gerald

yes i did have the codes read at one time after i posted that and it is the ebcm that is bad since my new job i started i have been fixing alot more things on the truck and that is gonna be one of the things after i do new oil cooler and tranny cooler lines also power steering lines