Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Brake Light Issues

Old 08-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Default Brake Light Issues

Hey guys, I am new to this site. However I am a member of a site for another truck mfg. Anyway, my girlfriend has a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4. Recently she noticed that here brake lights were not working. I crawled under the dash to see if the brake switch was bad. I appears that some one has done some "modifications" somewhere along the way. Instead of the retainer clip, there was a zip tie holding the brake switch in place. After moving the switch around, still attached to the brake pedal "pin", the switch would do all sorts of different things. If you pushed the switch all the way towards the driver side, the brake lights stayed on all the time. You could move the switch around a little and the brake lights would work for about 8 pedal cycles. Or you could move it again and they wouldn't work at all.
I replaced the switch and everything was exactly the same. Went and purchased the retained clip, thinking that would hold the switch in the proper location. The clip made no difference what so ever.
Checked the pigtail that plugs into the switch. Here is where some one has made some modifications. the 2 greeen wires had been cut at some point. They were shorter than the other wires, jerry rigged into the original spade ends, and placed back into the harness in a different location. I reattached the spade connectors a lot better than they were and moved them back to their original location and plugged the harness back into the switch. The only difference this made was that now I can touch the brake booster rod and ground it out to another part under the dash and there is an arc.
I have checked all the grounds under the dash as well as at the back of the truck for a bad ground. Everything appears good and tight. I have a new pigtail coming today.
I am at a complete loss as to what to try next.
Also, if I operate the switch manually, pressing on the little white plunger, everything operates as it should. I don't know if something was left off when whoever did the work before messed with things. It seems as though there is alot of play in the switch when it is attached to the brake pedal. As things are now, you have: brake pedal arm, booster arm, switch, then retainer clip. Is ther something missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
TruckForum Addict

Honestly everything sounds right to me. I think probably once you get that pigtail in there, everything should start working again

Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM

I hope so. Won't know for a couple of days. Will update as soon as I find something out.