Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Clunking in the front end of my 2005 GMC Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Default Clunking in the front end of my 2005 GMC Sierra

I have just had a very bad experience with GMC customer service. My new 2005 GMC developed a clunking( especially over rough gravel roads).
I took the truck to the local dealer and they could not find or explain the noise. I then took the truck to another GMC dealer who said the same thing. Theses visits were made well within the warranty period and I have service sheets from both dealers. The noise became louder and louder and at 15000 miles but after the warranty expired I took it back to the dealer. They told me that it was a clunk caused by the intermediate steering shaft. I searched the web and discovered that GMC has had this problem for several years. I called corporate GMC customer service and also sent them a letter detailing the problem. I ask that GMC pay for installing a newly designed intermediate steering shaft that supposedly fixes the problem. GMC told me that they couldn't fix the problem because it was out of warranty even though I had the problem before the warranty expired. GMC said it didn't represent a safety problem so they would do nothing. I then went BBB and the state attorney generals office. The bottom line is that none of these folks could help me with this problem. I bought the bearing and shaft myself and installed them. It fixed the problem but I think it is unethical for GMC to treat me this way. I will never buy another GM vehicle and you can hang your hat on that. I assume many owners have had the same lack of success as I have had. I believe GMC ought to take care of such problems.

Last edited by JayGee; 10-03-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: mis-spelled words
Old 10-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Sorry bout your hard times with the service. A lot of dealerships lack the knowledge and patients it takes to give at least decent service.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Beginner
Default Shafted by the dealer

I had the same issue with my '04 2wd GMC 1500 SLE Ext. and they took it in right away with no charge.. I thought it was a recall item.. I also got them to replace the one on our '02 2500HD company truck under the same guidelines. Mine was done at Coggin GMC in Orange Park, Florida.. In my case I did buy another GMC Sierra, this time an '07 Crew Cab SLT with four fullsize doors.. The only regret is I should have gotten the 6.0 engine, you can feel the extra weight with the 5.3. My '04 makes this one feel like a 6 cylinder...

Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Feel your pain. I tried and tried. Was told normal. No out of warranty. Was in last night and told $124 to remove relube and replace. No more GM for me once this is gone.