California Compliant Catalytic Converter - Truck Forums

Go Back  Truck Forums > Full Size Truck Forums > Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum
Reload this Page >

California Compliant Catalytic Converter

Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Compliant Catalytic Converter

Old 01-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Beginner
Default California Compliant Catalytic Converter

So just curious, I reside in California and have a 05 Chevy Silverado 4.3L with a bad catalytic converter. I'm planning on swapping it out as cheaply as possible, but a lot of the converters I find for a reasonable price I cant use in California (or NY)due to stricter emissions laws (thanks a lot enviro-freaks). Lets say I ordered the part to be shipped to relatives in Nevada, and had it sent to me and I installed it. In 2 years when I go to get my truck smogged, would i fail a smog test on it? CA-compliant converters are running about $100 more and i'm trying to save the $$. Would a smog shop be able to tell by diagnostics or by looking at it that its not CA-compliant? Thanks!