Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Common Chevy & GMC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:18 PM

just kind of browsed this, anyway i have a 98 with 82k miles and where to begin, i think this thing broke more than anything i have ever owned haha.

fuel pump obviously.

wiper circuit board...easy fix and $30 for a new one, i went through some horrible weather with no wipers before i finally got of my *** and fixed it. its so easy i wish i had done it sooner considering i almost died several times not being able to see.

as for stuff i didnt catch posted yet and/or i havnt tried to fix yet:

i have a weird rumble when idling, the tach doesnt move but the car shakes and i can hear it.

on warm starts it pretty much never starts right up, in the entire time i owned it. i worked with a guy who said he knew how to fix it and its easy but i never took him up on that or asked what it was.

also on warm starts, sometimes, if i go into drive it wont move, but if i go to reverse then drive it will. my tranny fluid does need to be changed badly and i still have not, not sure if that may explain it.

last week it randomly would not start for 5 minutes. i just took another car, came home 40 minutes later and it started right up and has driven fine ever since haha...very weird this thing is.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Default Check engine 1994 cheyenne 1500

Ok I recently had to replace my heater core and heater blower motor, I replaced the thermostat also... I overheated a couple times as the coolant was leaking onto my passenger floor, since replacing the three parts, my trucks check engine light keeps coming on randomly and then it feels as though I'm out of coolant... hesitating, bogging, low low low idle and then jumps back up to regular idle when slowing down to stop.... But it's not running hot, and there is lots of coolant.... What might cause this and why is my check engine light coming on now? Due to over heating it? Improper thermostat?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Heres a blast from the past.....................1st generation body style (70-80s) hoods bend when the hood hinges are not taken care of and greased.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM

What causes knocking in the morning that GM says not to worry about? Oil working its way to rockers?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

lifter noise....I still find it funny that GM says not to worry about it......that noise is metal on metal WITHOUT oil

Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 AM

shamrock on that cluster problem .what is the normal cause.I have a 04 chevy 2500 hd that has that problem.thanks for any replies

Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Beginner

The knocking in the morning, that goes away in a minute or so, is "piston slap". Mine had it for the last 200,000 miles. I sold the truck last fall at 342,000 miles. Except for the light being out on the radio, it was going strong. (It's now being driven by a 17 year old girl on Long Island, so chances are that it won't make it to 400,000, but it's had a good life!)

This time GM is right about this one. The noise doesn't cause further problems.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by flyrod529
shamrock on that cluster problem .what is the normal cause.I have a 04 chevy 2500 hd that has that problem.thanks for any replies

Usually it is the stepper motors that run each gauge.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:58 PM

2000 chevy silverado- drivers rear caliber freezes (3 diffrent trucks), tow package trucks the rear junction block corrodes, pasenger door lips rust like none other, cab corners are bad too, tail gate cables, drivers side rocker rust out, driving and the lights will suddenly go out and right back on, yolk clunk, gas gauge sending unit is ****

2004 duramax 1 ton single axle heated seats go out, seat motors go out, the grill cover gets brittle and falls apart after a season of snow plowin, filler neck on the tank will crack if your not carefull, two glow plugs

2008 duramax dully, third and fourth door electrical problems, fiberglass hips dont take alot of abuse, two transfer cases, four wheel bearings, one glow plug, front end gets off camber too frequently for me

Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 AM

2003 Chevy 1500 Singlecab Shortbed 4x4 5.3. I have owned this truck for 2 weeks and so far...

Forward Sprag in transmission failed the day i bought it, new radio (dealer fixed both) and its going back again in 3 days to get a new rear u joint. Other than that so far so good, but with selling auto parts for a living everything i have read so far is not a shocker with these trucks, ill still wear a bowtie till the day i die.

Quick Reply: Common Chevy & GMC Issues