Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   cuttin' the kitties (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/cuttin-kitties-9567/)

20''strong 03-28-2009 09:35 PM

cuttin' the kitties

Anybody cut off their cats?did you just weld in pipe?and was there any codes or lights that came on?

GMCSierraFan 03-28-2009 10:03 PM

CATS were stolen off the 92. Just clamped on a pipe where it was(no welding) and there is no difference other than a slightly better aroma to the exhaust :D. i don't know about a newer truck though, but I would think it would mess with all those sensors they've got on em now

98white5.0 03-29-2009 10:54 PM

My 98 has a straight pipe in place of the CAT. No codes. No problems. Smells better than with them. Maybe it's the Carbon Monoxide :eek:

PS: I know CO is odorless, so nobody go trying to tell on me. And Shh about the no cat thing. No one needs to know.

89ChevySilverado 04-08-2009 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by 98white5.0 (Post 43072)
My 98 has a straight pipe in place of the CAT. No codes. No problems. Smells better than with them. Maybe it's the Carbon Monoxide :eek:

PS: I know CO is odorless, so nobody go trying to tell on me. And Shh about the no cat thing. No one needs to know.

Here in PA no cat means no pass on yearly inspections... :mad:

That's why its common for the cats to be punched out here... just so you can say its there for inspection. SHHHHHH...

GMCSierraFan 04-08-2009 07:05 AM

It's nice with the 92 cuz they don't inspect vehicles older than 2000 anymore. I have to agree with 98white5.0 though, Uncatalized exhaust just smells amazing

89ChevySilverado 04-08-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy (Post 43438)
It's nice with the 92 cuz they don't inspect vehicles older than 2000 anymore. I have to agree with 98white5.0 though, Uncatalized exhaust just smells amazing

here in PA they inspect anything 1975 or newer:mad: except diesel powered.... unless the truck weight class is over 11,001 pound or greater, then your givin a waiver.... unless your truck is 2007 or newer the you need to have a "Re Generation System" on your truck.....

Personally i feel emmission inspections are BS and as u can see PA is taking it for all its worth.... You know its bad when your truck will PASS emmission in LA,Cail and FAIL in PA...lol:)

98white5.0 04-08-2009 12:35 PM

It's all about global warming. Did I mention it's been the coldest winter here where I live. Hasn't been this cold for at least thirty years, I hear. Sounds like Al Gore might need to come up with another excuse to give speeches.

rxsteven 04-08-2009 03:20 PM

It will throw a code and you lose a little torque on the low end.

Mr_Shamrock 04-08-2009 03:56 PM

You need to look under your truck and see if it has a O2 sensor before and after the CAT (Upstream and Downstream). If you do than you will definitely get a service light. The ECM compares the reading between the 2 sensors and if they are reading the same (no CAT) than you get a trouble code.

98white5.0 04-08-2009 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock (Post 43452)
You need to look under your truck and see if it has a O2 sensor before and after the CAT (Upstream and Downstream). If you do than you will definitely get a service light. The ECM compares the reading between the 2 sensors and if they are reading the same (no CAT) than you get a trouble code.

I have my cat removed. No SES light. No codes. I have O2 sensors right after the manifolds, before what used to be the cat, and after what used to be the cat. My performance was not affected in any way. I have a single 3-inch pipe after the y-pipe.