Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   cylinder # 6 misfire on a 97' Z71 (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/cylinder-6-misfire-97-z71-13432/)

Worf 04-10-2010 04:30 PM

Drivelineband did you ever get this resolved?

dgrebe 06-01-2010 11:26 AM

I am receiving the same error code in my ’97 Suburban 1500 5.7 2x2.
I have changed the plugs, plug wires, rotor and rotor button. After $180, none of these things has helped. I just had a tune-up a year ago with 25,000 miles placed on the vehicle since then. The plug in cyl #6 did look dirty. Actually, no four plugs on that side looked as clean as the ones on the driver side.
What should I try next? I do not smell rotten eggs while the engine is running. I don’t really understand how a Faulty coil (pack) could only miss fire on #6 and fire just fine on the other 7?? I know where that is located and it looks fairly easy to change.
What is involved in replacing the whole injection (spider) unit? I am by far not a mechanic.

RUFFNECK4LYFE 06-01-2010 07:03 PM

Since it happend so quick, I would look at mechanical. Check the valve springs for that cylinder!

DriveLineBand 06-02-2010 06:22 AM

The problem was fixed. It was a bad injector. I want to thank the helpful experts on this forum. To the weekend warriers out there like me: replacing an injector on this motor is easy, but getting TO it is intense, and then of course, putting everything back together. My advice would be if you're lucky enough to have a real mechanic friend, invite him over for pizza and beer to help you with this project - otherwise it may easily consume your whole weekend - at least the better part of a day that you could have been out fishing, or perhaps scoring points with your woman by putting her car up on jacks in your garage with the hood open, changing the blinker fluid or muffler bearing with the game or music on the radio.

RUFFNECK4LYFE 06-02-2010 05:45 PM

Sweet man! Thanx for coming on and asking.

dgrebe 06-07-2010 04:40 AM

Well.....
$678.79 later. My Suburban is now running again. It was the fuel injectors that were bad. The odd thing is that I also had error code P0141 and P0161 (O2 sensor bad). They did not replace those but the error has not returned, yet. Think that was due to the bad injector?
Damn I should have taken the day off and tried to fix it myself!

RUFFNECK4LYFE 06-07-2010 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by dgrebe (Post 57190)
Well.....
$678.79 later. My Suburban is now running again. It was the fuel injectors that were bad. The odd thing is that I also had error code P0141 and P0161 (O2 sensor bad). They did not replace those but the error has not returned, yet. Think that was due to the bad injector?
Damn I should have taken the day off and tried to fix it myself!

When the injectors go bad they will either cause a lean or rich mixture. The O2 sensors have a big chance of goin bad when the motor runs rich cause of the unburned fuel creating carbon build up. If you take the O2 sensors off, you can tell alot about how the motor has been running, even if it has a blown head gasket. The coloration shows the evidence. I would replace them anyways.

CjWrench 07-01-2016 05:04 PM

Wow these are some sharp tools here. Blinker fluid, muffler bearing, metric crescent wrench, please understand that those are all a joke. For the recommendation about checking voltage at the injectors, impossible. The spider injection is one unit under the intake, cannot check voltage. And you're referencing from a ford and not a Chevy and please don't ever diagnose your car with a long screw driver held up to your ear, that's barbaric.
Proper way to diagnose is to first start with checking the plug( cracks or out of gap, possible wrong plug from being a cheap ass), is everything ok? Of so, check wire. Is it arching? Burnt or showing white powder marks on it indicates it vindicating outside the loom. Everything ok? Check coil, you check the coil by checking resistance. Easiest way to check if it's adequate, compare to known good part. Ask your parts store to pull the part and check resistance. Everything ok? Now go to your cap n rotor, any marks indicating false contact? Any condensation? Any white powder or burn marks at the points? Everything ok? Possible distributor or body control module. Don't dare to diagnose the bcm if I have lost you in these basic instructions. Now if anything of these items I asked if they look ok, if they don't, replace and recheck.

CjWrench 07-01-2016 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Worf (Post 55471)
Drivelineband did you ever get this resolved?

Dude it's not a ford!!!! Completely different engines and set ups

Csain69 10-16-2022 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock (Post 55338)
It could be a few things...plug wire, cap or rotor, or the Vortec motors are known for the spider injection going bad which will throw that code. Did you notice what the #6 plug looked like? Is it harder to start?

I am having the same problem but it keeps melting the wire on cylinder #6 I've been through a box and a half of wires and taken it to 2 shops near my house.