Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

It was time.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Default It was time.

Yeah, yesterday I decided to grab the heat gun and see about deleting the Chevrolet banner adorning my tailgate. That son of a bitch took the better part of the afternoon to get off. The most difficult part was the polishing/buffing I had to do to remove the embedded in grit and grime from the edges of where the banner was.

Before:

After:

Then that got me thinking.... I should probably delete the shopping cart fenders too. They look like crap, I'm out here already, I have the heat gun in my hand...

(No 'Before' pic)

Now I have to spend the better part of my day off picking off double sided tape with my fingernail. Whoo hoo!!!

Oh, the only good thing to report back is the polishing/rubbing compound stuff I'm using works like magic. You gotta really put your arm into it, and pay attention to what you're doing, but damn... I got some scratches out that I thought would be there forever.

More to follow. Hold tight.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Default RE: It was time.

Underneath molding/after a quick pass at the top with rubbing compound.

Once I get all the residue off, I'm hopeful but, there doesn't seem to be any appreciable fade in the black paint.

Before I do it, I want to know your opinions of these door trim moldings. Are they worth keeping? The reason I ask is that I hate chrome, and these just look like eye sores and serve no purpose as far as I can see:

Here sits Major Silva. Half completed, and wishing his owner wasn't such a wuss. I got a wicked bad blister on my thumb from rubbing off the gummy crap that never seems to fully go away.

Yes, you can all make fun of me now. My truck is filthy, bone stock, and he's saddled with a nearly useless ladder rack. BTW, anyone in the market for a ladder rack? $150 OBO takes it.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Looks good bud much cleaner.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 PM

Ya the tail gate defintally looks a lot better. What kind of buffing compoud are you using?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 PM

When I finish the side I'm working on (passenger) I'll give it a good wash/buff/polish, then I'll post the pictures of the other (unfinished) side as a comparison.

Looks friggin shweet already. Can't believe I waited this long to do it. Anyways, there's a gorgeous sunset going on behind me, so I'm gonna pour myself a Scotch and enjoy it.

Name:  039.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  59.2 KB

It's extreme low tide right now. All that is usually covered with 12 ft of water.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM

Damn now I really want to stop by for a beer!!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:34 PM

Name:  026.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  62.4 KB

What day of automotive cleanliness would be complete without 12 year old single malt Scotch?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 PM

That looks like some expensive scotch. We have some in our liquor store that sells for like 60 dollors a bottle. Never tried it but i looks like it should taste good.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 AM

The taste of a good single malt Scotch is unbelievable... Smoky, woody, complex as the human mind... etc.
If you want to read something interesting, click the link.
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/scotch/scotch.html

The bottle pictured retails at $79.99, but it's only 12 years old. My favorite is McCallen 18. That's about $149.99 - $169.99 In my humble opinion, worth every single penny.

I can't drink it around my friends though. They call me gay for drinking it, then when I'm not looking, they're slugging it straight from the bottle like cheap rum. Buncha bastards don't understand...