Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Double Din Deck installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Default Double Din Deck installation

Hey Guys
so im finally getting my truck back hopefully next week! whoo whoo!

anyways... im thinking im going to put a pioneer double din deck into my truck.. (non GPS version)
AVH-P4000DVDthis thing is going to be sweet.
but im kinda scared to install it!

i have done tons of decks before but they are always on older vehicles... they usually come apart with a few screws and thats about it!
this has a bunch of clips and stuff and im scared to break something and completly ruin it!

any and all help would be greatly appreciated

thanks again guys

p.s. i know i have to get the wiring harness, mounting bracket and the bypass for the security... but its just the removal and installation that scares me

thanks again

[IMG]local://upfiles/6142/6311FB670493463FAE4AABD695EEE0C3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Default RE: Double Din Deck installation

Just be carfull when you take the dash apart, particularly the hazard switch tends to get broken off when people are unaware of the switch and go and take off the dash panel. I did it, so I know from personal experiance. Other than that, the dash should come apart pretty easy, the dash pretty much just pops off and then you will have to disconnect the ****ches and 4x4 switch. Just look at the connectors really well before you go and pry on the connector. Just some advice. Get the mounts and wiring harness and it should go together pretty easy. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM

i heard that you have to shift the vehicle into first gear and then tilt the steering column all the way down...true or untrue?

also.. where to start? can you just start prying or what? just some general guidelines would be mega appreciated! thanks for the tip on the hazard switch i will watch out for it!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM

Yes, you will have to lower the column and shift it into first. Also you can just start at the top, it is probably the best place to start becouse you will have the most leverage. Just start pulling until it either pops loose or you start to hear cracking, if you hear cracking stop pulling there and move closer to where the resistance (clips) is. That should be about the best way to explain it. If you have access to a door panel remover (looks like a flat plate the has a notch in the middle) use that to get it started, then do it by hand from there.
Good luck man.