Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Electric fan idea has failed. (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/electric-fan-idea-has-failed-4338/)

jcbst12 08-29-2007 08:26 PM

Electric fan idea has failed.

Well I tried and I failed with the eletric fan conversion. First of all there is now quick and easy way to remove the belt driven fan. Its on there real tight and I couldn't free up the clutch. Second of all the 16" fan were the right size but there is a lip on the edge of the radiator that wouldn't allow the fans to sit flush. Now Im just going to return them and eat the shipping and handling fee. Oh well. I can't find any other fans that get the CFM I need that will fit and are affordable. Im gonna hang up the towel on this one. On the lighter side, I did descreen the MAF sensor and I guess because of the K&N, TBS and coolant bypass I actually noticed a pretty good gain on throttle response and acceleration.

smoke20 08-29-2007 09:12 PM

RE: Electric fan idea has failed.

Don't give up yet, ther may be someone that has an idea. As far as the fitment, you can always trim the gapfor fitment. As far as getting the belt off, look for a tensioner pully. I am not experienced with your model, but my 93' had a tensioner pully that took alot of persuasion to get the belt off.

BlackHorse99 08-29-2007 10:00 PM

yeah that fan was a bisnitch to get off when i replaced engines, but get a bar and ram in there to hold it, and the whole thing spins off, the clutch, fan, and everything, im sure you know that but in case you didnt

jcbst12 08-30-2007 08:17 AM

It was the fan smoke, not the belt I couldn't get off. I have a good question for you. On a radiator you have the alumninum ends (like caps) , one have the inlet and one has an outlet. Then you have the body of the rad (where the fins are). My rad has an inch lip where the body ends and the caps begin on either side. Smoke, if you get a chance can you look to see if your rad if flat all the way across or if it has a lip on either side. My theory is that if Smoke has the same radiator, then I can look for fans off a truck like his in the junkyard and know they will fit. Otherwise I'll have to pass on the idea.

jcbst12 08-30-2007 08:18 AM

BlackHorse, what truck did you do an engine swap on? Your current truck?

smoke20 08-30-2007 07:45 PM

I will try to look at this tomorrow. Sorry about the missunderstanding.

jcbst12 08-31-2007 09:05 AM

Ok. Thank You

MrLM7 09-01-2007 01:21 AM

To get the fan off, you just get a wire coathanger and slip it through one of the holes on the water pump pulley. Wire it up on one side of the coathanger, then get a set of channel locks and wrap the other end of the coathangerthrough and around the grips and have someonepull the channel lockstight while you unscrew the fan...

smoke20 09-01-2007 08:00 AM

What?!!!

72charger 09-01-2007 09:33 AM

Yeah I have a pretty good imagination but that one is just not rendering for some reason...