Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

sts turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Default sts turbo?

i have a sts turbo on my chevy silverado 2005 5.3 v8 i have upgraded injectors headers thats about it right now lol but i was wondering how much boost my motor can handle i have a 10 spring on there right now im at 5-7psi but i want to boost up too 10-15psi... my truck is still slow to me at 5-7psi but i also have 22's on it i dont know if that maybe wieghing me down but just let me know what yall think

Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM

I think it is a 5,000 lb truck and it will never feel as fast as a car. You are too high awaiy from the ground. When in a car you feel the power and speed because you are so close to it. As far as the pounds of air, I have no idea what they can take. I would recommend building the lower end of your motor before getting too high on the pressure. I would guess that 5-7 would be fine, but I would like to say 10+ is asking for a rod to fail! We all know how that ends up!

What do you all think about what I posted? Correct or not?? I am pretty new to turbos and blowers and superchargers. I guess the stone age is over. Everything is going to computerized

Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by razmini817tx
i have a sts turbo on my chevy silverado 2005 5.3 v8 i have upgraded injectors headers thats about it right now lol but i was wondering how much boost my motor can handle i have a 10 spring on there right now im at 5-7psi but i want to boost up too 10-15psi... my truck is still slow to me at 5-7psi but i also have 22's on it i dont know if that maybe wieghing me down but just let me know what yall think

I wouldn't run much more than 8-10psi. And yes, your 22's are hurting you.

Originally Posted by gpet6669
I think it is a 5,000 lb truck and it will never feel as fast as a car. You are too high awaiy from the ground. When in a car you feel the power and speed because you are so close to it. As far as the pounds of air, I have no idea what they can take. I would recommend building the lower end of your motor before getting too high on the pressure. I would guess that 5-7 would be fine, but I would like to say 10+ is asking for a rod to fail! We all know how that ends up!

What do you all think about what I posted? Correct or not?? I am pretty new to turbos and blowers and superchargers. I guess the stone age is over. Everything is going to computerized
There are a ton of turbo'd trucks that will dust just about anything they come across. I love racing Z06's, Cobra's, Roush Mustings, etc...

Building the bottom end is good to do, but there are trucks that have put well over 500hp on a stock bottom end with zero issues.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 PM

^what he said.

The 22's are hurting you in MANY areas from acceleration to braking. The weigh alot more than OEM wheels. Any added weight mixed with rotational force is going to make a decent difference.

You should be fine running anywhere from 8-11psi on that setup, especially since you have higher output injectors and the sts system has some lag.

If you really want to take advantage of your setup you should look into a lower compression ratio with some forged internals.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:45 AM

alright thanks i wanna boost up soooo bad but i dont to blow my motor im just gonna have to get pison an rods buts thats 2grand an take my 22's off an puts some 20's

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 AM

If you up the boost, you're also going to have to worry about everything else it stresses. Might want to look into some ARP head bolts, built trans, built rear, etc.)

Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Once you start there is no stopping. The build is never done. There is always a weak link that will need an upgrade.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM

So I wasn't too far off. I guess I have learned a thing or two from you guys!!

Go to something smaller than an 18" wheel. Also stay close to the stock size tires so that your shift points are correct and the diff ratio isn't dragging you down.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by gpet6669
So I wasn't too far off. I guess I have learned a thing or two from you guys!!

Go to something smaller than an 18" wheel. Also stay close to the stock size tires so that your shift points are correct and the diff ratio isn't dragging you down.
18'' are fine. That's what I run. And tire size isn't an issue. If he's turbo'd, someone is doing his tuning which means they can compensate/adjust for all of that in the PCM.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM

If your turbo'd, like I said the first time you posted - go over to LS1truck.com. There are a bunch of turbo'd trucks over there and a lot of knowledge.

Quick Reply: sts turbo?