Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

93 Chevy dies after warmed up good

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Beginner
Default 93 Chevy dies after warmed up good

i have a 93 chevy silverado that has 140,000 miles on it & has never missed a lick. About 3 weeks ago it just died at a stop light & wouldn't start. I tested the fuel pump & went ahead & replaced with a delpi pump & I also tested to see if there was power to the coil. I had 12volts to coil & ICM, I still had no fire & no fuel at the injectors. I checked the pickup coil in distributor & it was within specs. & i checked to see if i had the pulse from the ICM that tells the coil what to do & it wasn't present either. I replaced the ICM & the truck fired right up & i thought all was good.

I drove it the next day & drove it across town about a 15-20 minute drive & the truck died again. It sat for an hour or so & went & tried again & truck fired up again & i drove home & as i pulled into the drive way it died again. I rechecked everything again as i did in the beginning & it had no fire & no fuel coming from injectors. I removed the ICM again & thought maybe i had gotten a bad new part & returned to parts store & they gave me another new ICM & i replaced it again. Truck fired right up again & then the next day the problem was just the same as before, dies after 15-20 drive. I have checked the fuel pump again & everything is good there.

I am at a lose now, any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM

I don't have a flow chart in front of me but IIRC the ignition module has control over the fuel and spark for this model as well. The symptoms of running for a few minutes dying then restarting after cooling down sounds just like and ignition module.

Has it set any codes?