Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2014 Sierra roof leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Beginner
Default 2014 Sierra roof leak

Has anyone else had an issue with a roof leak in a 2014 era Sierra? My leak is at the very rear of the cab, and I have no antenna on my roof. I pulled the 3rd brake light assembly off, and all was clean and dry in and behind it. For where the water wicks in, I guess it could be the rear window, but it doesn't seem like it. I'm wondering if the "roof ditch" trim area could be the problem. From what I've read, you don't want to pull that trim off until you have new clips on hand. I can't find anything definitive as far as if there are holes in the roof where the trim/clips are attached. My google searches talk about a ton of issues with leaks in this vehicle, but always at the front of the cab. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Beginner
Default Roof Leak - Identical Issue.

Originally Posted by bfd230
Has anyone else had an issue with a roof leak in a 2014 era Sierra? My leak is at the very rear of the cab, and I have no antenna on my roof. I pulled the 3rd brake light assembly off, and all was clean and dry in and behind it. For where the water wicks in, I guess it could be the rear window, but it doesn't seem like it. I'm wondering if the "roof ditch" trim area could be the problem. From what I've read, you don't want to pull that trim off until you have new clips on hand. I can't find anything definitive as far as if there are holes in the roof where the trim/clips are attached. My google searches talk about a ton of issues with leaks in this vehicle, but always at the front of the cab. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Hello, I have a 2014 Sierra Denali and I have the same exact issue. I just replaced the gasket for the third brake light but it was dry in behind that. I have a large water spot on my interior roof near the back as well. Have you corrected your issue?

Thanks,

Old 12-10-2019, 09:49 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by Drewharris90
Hello, I have a 2014 Sierra Denali and I have the same exact issue. I just replaced the gasket for the third brake light but it was dry in behind that. I have a large water spot on my interior roof near the back as well. Have you corrected your issue?

Thanks,
Funny enough, I did the same thing and the leak stopped, for a while. Just the other day I noticed it is back. My truck has a cap on it, so getting at that brake light isn't a simple affair. I think I'm going to put a bead of marine silicone across the top and side of the light for now, and try to fix it again in the spring.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:29 PM
Beginner
Default Roof leak

Originally Posted by bfd230
So we just noticed today roof leak in the rear. It is too high for rear mirror must be coming from roof ditch. Did you find out anything?

Old 02-02-2022, 03:13 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by garyrscott
So we just noticed today roof leak in the rear. It is too high for rear mirror must be coming from roof ditch. Did you find out anything?
Yep. Mine was definitely the rear brake light. One of the screws wasn't tight at all, so I tightened both of them. But it wasn't until I removed the light and siliconed the connection between the light and the truck that the leak stopped.