Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Getting my truck next friday, what should i do first? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/getting-my-truck-next-friday-what-should-i-do-first-15072/)

GMC89 11-18-2010 11:25 PM

Getting my truck next friday, what should i do first?

3 Attachment(s)
hey guys,
Just bought a used 2005 Chev Silverado Reg cab long box rwd with 4.3 V-6.

Just curious what you guys would do with the truck if it were yours. Yes i know its a V-6 but its the nicest truck i could find in my area that was in my price range.

Any advice would be appreciated

MAC'S MY NAME 11-19-2010 09:38 PM

What's the truck's purpose? Lookin' good or working hard for you?

GMC89 11-20-2010 11:44 AM

mostly lookin good, but i do tow some loads every once in a while. And i do cut and hall wood on the weekeneds in winter.

Mr_Shamrock 11-20-2010 06:59 PM

Since the truck is new to you I would drive it the way it is for a few weeks to make sure that it is mechanically sound. How many miles on it? It might be due for some maintenance items depending on the mileage. That is a clean truck! Congratulations!

GMC89 11-21-2010 09:40 PM

Ya that makes sense, and thanx. Truck has 137,XXXkm on it...whatever that works out to miles i dunno

timber74wolf 11-21-2010 11:13 PM

Yeah drive it like it is for a while. Pay it off then MOD it! Start with putting a V8 in it... lol just joking. I would do an exhaust, CAI or Redneck intake and a tune to start out with.

GMC89 11-22-2010 05:37 PM

Ya i think im just gonna put exhaust on it and drive it

MAC'S MY NAME 11-27-2010 04:03 PM

Have you looked at any of the lowering kits available for your rig? a 4/6 drop with 20's would clean it up nice.

GMC89 12-03-2010 09:06 PM

Hey guys,
Lowering it would look ok but not functional for wat i want to do.

So after driving it for 5 days i have found a few things.
1. Has never been oil undercoated, rust has already started on on rockers. Its bubbling on bottom of passenger door. It's all over the inside of the hood. Paint is peeling off of frame from rust. F*ck sakes. I knew this when i got the truck but didnt realize it was this far.
2. Belt sqeaked like a scalded dog, so replaced that.
3. Spark plugs look original so i can assume it's never had a tune up.
4. Tranny fluid is a dark brownish/red. So im thinkin its time for a flush.
5. Coolant strength is good but if nothing else has been changed, more than likely its still factory.

Am i off to a good start? haha

GMCSierraFan 12-03-2010 10:01 PM

Sounds about typical... You don't even want to know the condition my truck was in... Does original brake pads sound fun?

I am led to believe after doing ball joints and pitman arm this week that... well... this truck has never seen a grease gun in its 12 year life on dirt roads.
I won't complain too much, for the area, I still got it for a song.

So, basically, I'd say you went out and bought yourself a (drumroll please)........................................... ................TYPICAL USED TRUCK!

I would suggest driving it as is and fixing everything that you think needs fixing... then you can reassess your truck and decide what you want to do with it.. just a suggestion, but its better than almost snapping a ball joint like I did by putting a plow on the truck :P

Good luck!