Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   headers really worth it? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/headers-really-worth-4562/)

street silver 1 09-19-2007 09:07 AM

headers really worth it?

I want to do my exhaust and dont want to blow money on headers if they really dont give me much more performance than my stock manifolds.Hi flo cats into 1 muffler and duals out the side before my rear wheels nascar style.What you guys think?

gpet6669 09-19-2007 09:09 AM

RE: headers really worth it?

Headers will help, they always will. It all depends on what type of power you are after, as to what type of headers that you will need. Long tube help with more torque, shortys will help more with HP. But both will add to both types of power, one just more than the other. Like I said it's all what you want.

jcbst12 09-19-2007 10:14 AM

Headers are a good upgrade. They are pretty expensive but you have to consider the fact that not only will it give you more hp, but it will sound better and have a more 'pronounced' power band. (More hp over the entire rpm range) I wouldn't do high flow cats because they don't make that much of a difference (if any) especially if you do headers. Shorts are good and less costly to put in, but long tube headers are better (from what I've heard from my buddies who run the strip).

SouthBayZ71 09-19-2007 10:18 AM

Can headers be installed by a mildly mechanically enclined person who is good at reading directions? :D...orshould I to take it to a shop if/when I ever do this upgrade ...it's pretty darn expensive!

gpet6669 09-19-2007 10:52 AM

if they are direct replacment headers than yes, you should be ableto do it pretty easy (with some swearing and scuffed up nuckels) Other than that yes you should take it to a shop. BTW when and if you put them on, make sure to start it up and rev it up a few times. This will let all of your nabors that you have done a really good mod, and wanted to tell them all. That and you will love the sound that comes out of them. If youhave problems with them or don't think that you can do it on your own, come over to fairfield and I will help you.

SouthBayZ71 09-19-2007 12:07 PM

Didn't realize that you were close by Gpet ...up near Vacaville, right?

Would long tubes replace my single-in, dual out exhaust ...I know that shorty's should bolt right up.

hunt4game29 09-19-2007 03:13 PM

From what i have read long tube header and then they make a y pipe for them to bolt right up and you have to remove your cats.

SouthBayZ71 09-19-2007 03:22 PM

Hmmm ...I think removing cats is a "no-no" in California ...blah!

07_Bowtie 09-19-2007 06:52 PM

Hey southbay, Don't know how legal u are trying to stay in Cali, but if u are, you would need shorty headers. I put on a set of JBA headers wasn't tough. If you can remove a stock manifold than u are good to go. Long tubes are a no no in cali as well as no cats.

chevy112488 09-19-2007 07:35 PM

i thought there was some way you could relocate them to farther back along the pipes or something, and still be legal... maybe not though

street silver 1 09-19-2007 08:47 PM

so shortys with cats single in dual out?

street silver 1 09-19-2007 10:13 PM

What is the best header guys?

jcbst12 09-20-2007 07:04 AM

I'd go stainless steel, as far as what brand, well just remember you get what you pay for. Gibsons have a good rep but I don't know of anyone who has them. The price isn't too bad for them. I do know people who have Borla but that sh*t is expensive.

BlackHorse99 09-20-2007 09:34 AM

anyone wanna buy a set of headers?

BlackHorse99 09-20-2007 09:35 AM

pm me if you do, im selling a set

smoke20 09-20-2007 05:00 PM

Southbay - you should be able to do it. It is not hard. Like others have said, shorties give you mid and high rpm power, long tube give you low and middle rpm power, but you will have to move the cats and adjust your exhaust.

chevy112488 09-20-2007 05:16 PM

anybody know about summit brand headers? they're cheap, but i mean, they're from summit, so they can't be too crappy... or can they?

72charger 09-20-2007 06:08 PM

I don't understand something here. How is it long tube headers help low end(torque) and shorties help top end(hp)? I mean if the long tube headers are better flowing then shorties then wouldn't it stand to reason that you are losing that much more backpressure and thus losing torque? I'm sure I'm wrong for some reason but it seems to me like it should be the other way around

JakeSilverado 09-22-2007 08:25 AM

If you put headers on, for the love of god do NOT over tighten those header bolts. My brother just stripped the head on his LS2 GTO. cheap torque wrenches don't always click when you torque that lightly.

72charger 09-22-2007 08:42 AM

Dang that sux.

Can anyone answer my questions or be ye all stumped?

chevy112488 09-22-2007 07:09 PM

im stumped just like you charger... that never made sense to me either

Grey Ghost 09-24-2007 10:14 PM

I know I have the answer to that one bookmarked. I just have to find it again. I'll let you know, but that is correct. Long tubes give you more torque better low end. Tri-y's even better.

SouthBayZ71 09-25-2007 10:26 AM

I looked at Tri-Y's ...and I can't find one that is legal in California ...blah!

It's either shorty's or long tubes for me ...probably shorty's cuz I don't want to have to take it to a shop.

72charger 09-25-2007 05:47 PM

Grey ghost did you ever find that info you mentioned?

jcbst12 09-26-2007 08:02 AM

I've heard the same thing about the long tube versus shorty headers, I just can't find any evidence online (yet).

dawgsrule 10-24-2007 05:33 PM

do the tri -y's give more torque than the long tubes

blu82chev 10-24-2007 06:02 PM

Local shop in my town quoted me for a set of edelbrock shorties for $340.00, but I really need some low end power due to the 3.42 rear end. Wonder how much more I am looking at for longtubes?

Cracker 10-24-2007 07:55 PM

Shorty Headers - pressure is equalized sooner....torque relies on pipesize restrictions and muffler....smoother torque curve
Long tubes - just the opposite....Use at track with oversized exhaust to move more gas. HP is more important at the track because you spend more time in the upper RPM range.....Irratic torque curve to get you off the line

Sounds good to me.

seb37 10-24-2007 09:27 PM

you are right Cracker, Long Tubes are more for mid-high range, like at the track they flow more air.Shorties are not much different from what we have now, they are lighter and flow better than stock

seb37 10-24-2007 09:28 PM

i also found this on a other forum. The advantage of long tube headers is that it allows more of a terminal velocity for your exhaust gases to escape the engine. It creates sort of a twister affect compared to shorty headers. The quicker the exhaust gases escape the cylinders, the more hp it helps create. The shortys are a quick route out of the cylinders but allow the gases to bottle neck a little and create more back pressure which in turn can reduce the hp by as much as 20hp compared to the long tube headers in most cases. The equal length shortys give you the convience of shorty headers and the hp gaines of long tubes. They are in my opinion the best answer. There is normally only a 3-5 hp gain between long tubes and equal length shortys. You will not feel that little bit of hp in a street car in my opinion that much.

What I am trying to say is this. Shorty's give you maybe 10-15 hp.
Equal Length Shorty's 20-30 hp
Full Lengths 20-35 hp

72charger 10-24-2007 11:55 PM

Just about everyone on Full Size Chevy agrees that the shorty headers won't give you any increase in power on the LS1 engines because the stock exhaust manifolds already flow so well. I don't see how this can be possible... it seems like you would gain at very least 5-10hp from shorties but pretty much everyone on there will tell you to get long tubes or nothing at all. Some of the guys on there that had tried the Pacesetter shorties said they even lost power. I kicking the idea of buying some long tubes for my truck but then I'll have to turn right around and pay someone $150-$200 to install them since the exhaust has to be altered to make room for them and then it all has to be welded together (apparantly the cats have to be moved back some as well). Some people I've talked to recommend against Pacesetter anything but you can get a set of Pacesetter long tubes for $300 on Summit Racing. I think the next lowest set of long tubes was like $500-$600. So if you wanna decent header setup your looking at spending close to $1000 after it's all said and done.......... just to gain maybe 15-20hp at the wheels... maybe. I wish I could afford to throw money away like that. I really wish there was just one or two people with a 4.8 or 5.3 that have actually bought some decent shorties and can attest that they did gain some decent power off of them and recommend them. But in the last 3 weeks or so I've found 0 people tell me that.:(

seb37 10-25-2007 01:03 AM

The Pacesetters are 1 3/4 primary tube like the Dynatech's, so do you race your truck at he local drag strip? If not the average driving that we do with are trucks would not work as well with long tubesmaybe with a smaller primary tube, butI have not seen those yet. Racers running 9-10 second cars in the quarter mile run 1 3/4 tubes and theyour leaving the line between 2500-4500rpm and running up to 6500-8500rpm.MID TO HIGH!!

smoke20 10-25-2007 07:32 AM

I may be wrong but I have always heard that long tube give low to mid power and shorties give mid to high power. It sounds like ya'll are saying the opposite. Is that right? Cause I know I have better high end , but crappy low end partally due to my shorty headers.

seb37 10-25-2007 11:19 AM

not with a 1 3/4 primary tube

seb37 10-25-2007 11:22 AM

72Charger, I challenge you to call the tech guys over at Summit and see what they say about a 1 3/4 long tube header on a stock or slightly modified daily driver truck. Better yet call 10x's and speak with 10 differnet people. You will probaly get a bunch of different answers

04BLKCHEVY 10-25-2007 11:30 AM

I installed the hedman shorty headers on my 6.0 and loved them. I get better gas mileage and it performs better on the freeway. My truck will always be slower on the take offcuz its so damn heavy.And they bolted right in wit no problems.

thomas 10-25-2007 12:34 PM

yes, longtube is low end, shorties are mid-high.

seb37 10-25-2007 06:33 PM

Ok, i was wrong on the Hooker Headers. They do offer a long tube, but once again they are 1 3/4 primary tubes and generally long tubes are better for low end, but not in a 1 3/4 primary. Spoke to the folks over at Dynatech and they agreed that on their headers, which are also 1 3/4 tubes you are not going to see a gain in the low end, especially in a stock application. They would work best in a highly modified or a supercharged application.

a_haines02 11-20-2007 01:13 AM

I had a 99 chevy with a hyper tech programmer,K&N intake, grenatelli mass air flow sensor,pacesetter headers, throttle body spacer, and 2 1/2' dual flowmaters. It did help the truck alot but since everything was put on at different times and I never put it on a dyno the only time I noticed the difference was when I took all the intake **** off: mass, cold air and spacer. I was loud as hell though. I woul dlove to have headers on my 2004. I would probably go with the tri-y's.

jcbst12 11-20-2007 08:16 AM

Hypertech has the opposite effect when took much is done to the intake. I can actually reduce power! Only thing Hypertech suggests with use of their programmers is a lower temp thermostat, High flow filter (Not intake system), and dual exhaust. Anything else they say will cause a loss in power, possibly giving you no gain at all. You can compensate with higher octane fuel tho. They told me 87 tune to run 89 and 91 tune to run 93.