Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Intro and a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Default Intro and a question

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and want to say hi. In Nov of 2001 I bought a 2002 Silverado with a regular cab, long box, Z71, towing, and snow plow prep packages. It was recently bitten to death by a guard rail after loosing traction on black ice. I have replaced it with a 2005 Silverado (because I loved the first one so much) with an extended cab, Z71, and towing packages. Still getting used to it but I like it so far.

I have searched through the site and found nothing on a question I have so I'll ask it here. My first Silverado (5.3L) started very quickly, almost always on the first turn over of the engine. The 2005 I have now (5.3L L33) turns over 4 or 5 times before firing up. My question is... Could this be due to the 160 Amp alternator the 2002 had (part of the snow plow prep package)? It seems odd to me that it would make a difference before the engine is running but a mechanic I know (but don't know how far to trust) tells me that the 160 Amp alternator is why the other one started so sharply. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks,

Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Default RE: Intro and a question

I can't answer your question directly, but mine starts up on the first crank. The alternator story sounds like BS to me. The truck should start the same with or without an alternator...

Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 PM

Welcome

Sorry to hear about the '02

How many miles on your '05? (Is it time for some basic maintenance: filter, plugs, wires, etc?)

Old 02-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I agree with the guys above ^ . Seems to me that if the battery is charged and turns the engine the same speed as your other one, the problem/issue is unrelated to the charging system (battery, cables, ALTERNATOR). Good advice from kal up there to do plugs/wires/cap/etc.

Let us know what turns out!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

+3

Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to the questions. The 05 has about 44,000 miles on it. According to the maintenance schedule in the manual I'm a long way from needing new plugs, wires, etc. The oild and associated filter have just been replaced. The air filter seems in good shape and doesn't look like it needs replacing yet.

I have tried starting the engine right after shutting it off to see if the issue is related to a loss of pressure in the fuel system but this had no effect on it's starting.

It does start consistently and runs like a top once it's running. So I don't suspect anything too serious. I am leaning towards doing a full tune up (plugs, air filter, PCV valve (if it has one), etc.) just to see. Even if it doesn't make a difference it will still make me more comfortable with the truck since I bought it used and don't know how it was taken care of before.

Anyway, thanks for the responses!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM

That's never a bad idea.Every time I buy a new vehicle,regardless of what I'm told, I do oil and filter,air filter,plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter,pcv if so equipped,wipers,top off coolant and trans fluid and washer fluid,check fuses,check tire pressures and go thru everything else I can think of.While under the hood I also check all electrical connections,wires and vac lines.I am very thorough about my tune ups. Like I said I do it to every vehicle I buy used,if nothing else,for the peace of mind in knowing that the proper PM service has been done,and done correctly.

If,when you say,that it cranks 4 or 5 times before starting,you are turning the key 1 time and the engine rotates 4 or 5 times before it starts,I don't know that there is a problem. If your preventative maintence has been done and everything is in tip top shape then it is probably fine,I would think. My 95 Silverado 1500 305 is like that and I did a thourogh tune up a week or so ago.Crank and it turns over 3-5 times before it starts when the engine is cool.After it has been running,like if I run in a gas station for a drink,it'll start on the 1st or 2nd rotation.

Be sure to have the battery tested,I mean load tested by somplace like autozone,not just with a volt meter.Check that battery terminals are in good condition,secured tightly and no corrosion.What is the CCA rating on the battery?600amp 700 800 ect?