Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Help with bucking and shaking truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 PM

I had a similar problem. when I was cruising at speeds above 60 with CC on it would violently shake and buck. It ended up being two broken belts in the front tires from pot holes. I kid you not. WOuldnt do it all the time but when my speed was constat it would start doing it. put new tires on and worked like a charm

Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by procarry21
I had a similar problem. when I was cruising at speeds above 60 with CC on it would violently shake and buck. It ended up being two broken belts in the front tires from pot holes. I kid you not. WOuldnt do it all the time but when my speed was constat it would start doing it. put new tires on and worked like a charm
That seems wierd, any way I can check without removing the tire from the rim?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SMjunkie311
ok well drive train drive line, same thing. ive always heard drive train down here.
No big deal....but you typed chain instead of train...lol

Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 PM

You eliminated the tires by doing what I said earlier....you have a engine problem and replacing the coils is a good place to start.....pull the wires off the coils and check the posts on the coils......any burnt places or corrosion or other unusual conditions?.....sometimes just removing the coil and cleaning the grounding part will help too

Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM

I had a coil on #4 go out on my 1999 silverado plow truck. You could hear it running funny and while I wouldnt describe it as a buck or kick, I thought of it as more of a place where there was no power because cylinder 4 wasnt firing. It ran rough sure, but if im correct this guy said it was a pretty bad shaking bucking situation

Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
You eliminated the tires by doing what I said earlier....you have a engine problem and replacing the coils is a good place to start.....pull the wires off the coils and check the posts on the coils......any burnt places or corrosion or other unusual conditions?.....sometimes just removing the coil and cleaning the grounding part will help too
I will do that tomorrow, thanks for being patient with me, I am still learning.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 PM

No problem.....let us know what you find

Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 AM

No big deal....but you typed chain instead of train...lol

haha my bad. it happens.lol

Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM

No problem.....let us know what you find
I didn't have a whole lot of time this evening but I did unplug each spark plug wire from the coils and they all SEEMED to be ok, I also dosconnected the wires, they too looked clean. Sometime in the next week or so when I get the time, I will be removing all 8 coils and inspect them as best as I can. Edit to this, I did notice in the spark plug wires that they were a bit carboned up, I am starting to get a bit frustrated with this lol. Anyways, I work at a high school and the shop teacher hooked up my truck to their scanner, even thoough the scanner didn't recognize my truck it still threw 2 codes. as you know my truck is a 2000 silverado 2500 6l vortec. The scanner didn't find my truck but the closest it came was a 2001. Is this reliable? I think the codes that were thrown were for both banks. I will find out from him what codes were thrown and post them, thanks.

Last edited by Daarrve; 03-05-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by procarry21
I had a coil on #4 go out on my 1999 silverado plow truck. You could hear it running funny and while I wouldnt describe it as a buck or kick, I thought of it as more of a place where there was no power because cylinder 4 wasnt firing. It ran rough sure, but if im correct this guy said it was a pretty bad shaking bucking situation
Did your truck throw any codes for #4 coil being bad?

Quick Reply: Help with bucking and shaking truck