Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   horrible day then dealer tells me this (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/horrible-day-then-dealer-tells-me-8973/)

CMG1002 01-27-2009 04:28 PM

horrible day then dealer tells me this

2005 silverado. ext. LT. 2wd.

Anywayz. I have a light out or idk the lighting from 60 mph to 120 on my spedometer is out. doesn't light up with running lights or anything. They dont have to replace a bulb. its the whole damn thing. (if i were to have them do it)thats wat the dealership tells me. so how much 400-500 dollars. yay. wtf guys, bull****. no warranty dont even bother. im f*cked. its gonna drive me nuts. already have 3 steering wheel controls out. im just not gonna take my truck out at night anymore.

feedback would be nice or even funny comments cause im f*cked

MajorSilva 01-27-2009 05:00 PM

RE: horrible day then dealer tells me this

1 Attachment(s)
You are = teh Attachment 2963

timber74wolf 01-27-2009 05:02 PM

What kind of warranty do you have? Take it to another dealership. They tried that with me too. o I went to another dealership that was owned by the same owner and got it fixed then left an email for the owner with the service reps backing and had the 1st dealership's service man terminated for false statements. Apparently he was doing that to a lot of customers which gave the dealership a bad reputation....
And if that does not fix it then look for another dash on Ebay like some others have done. Someone got a Chevy SS dash off Ebay for a good deal. It was all plug n play.

chrisbmo2000 01-27-2009 06:09 PM

so what did they say was wrong then??? a broken board? or just a burnt out bulb that they dont want to fix?

MajorSilva 01-27-2009 09:33 PM

I have no frame of reference for this exact circumstance, my truck being an earlier model, but my speedo/tach light went out, and it was a cinch to replace. Just a new bulb, can't remember which designation it was though....

www.superbrightleds.com

They rule all kinds of ass. Great prices, frickin' fast shipping.

CMG1002 01-28-2009 08:30 AM

no warranty. he said the bulbs weren't replaceable only the whole unit.i'll try another dealership and ask some mechanics i kno.

thanx.

bfg112 01-28-2009 08:46 AM

Take the dash apart and look at it before you admit defeat. I'm not sure how they light, but if it is just a bulb replace it yourself. If it's not a bulb, can you deal with half the speedo being dark? Buying a instrument pannel from ebay is good option too, or you can try a junk yard. Keep in mind, the mileage is stored in the instrument pannel and can't be reset. If you can find one with close to the miles you have on your truck you're golden. I'm not sure how the process works if you have 50k on your truck and get a cluster with 120k. I would think there's some kind of form you would fill out to proove what the mileage actually is.

If you go with new cluster you may or may not have to have a dealer install it. I did one on pontiac sunfire and the new cluster tripped the anti theft, and the car wouldn't start. I had to change it back to the old one and take it to the dealership so they could reprogram the computer so it would work with the new cluster.

ahcapone 01-28-2009 09:25 AM

Shouldn't that be under warranty? I'm pretty sure it's just a burnt light bulb. The only way to tell is by taking the gauge cluster out, did the dealer do this? You should call chevy headquarters to complainabout the service guy that told you to go to hell. Or like wolf said, try another dealer.

timber74wolf 01-28-2009 03:33 PM

Yeah! Call GM Headquarters and B!T@Habout the service man.

gpet6669 01-28-2009 05:52 PM

Man, you all are going sour! If you want to to go to another dealer, cool. If you can take it apart and inspect what it really is, even better. Let us know what you end up doing.

Good luck!