Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Default straight pipes

im sure this has been asked before, but I live in georgia and have to pass emissions. if I straight pipe my 93 c1500 (350) or put glasspacks on it will it affect emissions at all? i have a flowmaster 10 series on there now and want it louder. I do have a cat of course. I just wanted to get some sound advice before i spend the money cause i know reducing back pressure might affect the egr system.
thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

You should be fine as long as the cat is doing its job, but please think twice about doing this.
#1 You aren't going to make the truck any faster, in fact the truck will feel slower because your torque will diminish with the loss of backpressure.
#2 Maybe it's me, but I can't stand to see a loud *** truck that isn't going any where. My neighbor used to run his Tahoe like that and I could hear him coming as soon as he started his truck (about 6 houses down) and it sounded like it was hauling *** and he was just barely moving down the street.
To each their own, but why spend money to hurt your performance?!?!?!?!?!?!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:32 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
You should be fine as long as the cat is doing its job, but please think twice about doing this.
#1 You aren't going to make the truck any faster, in fact the truck will feel slower because your torque will diminish with the loss of backpressure.
#2 Maybe it's me, but I can't stand to see a loud *** truck that isn't going any where. My neighbor used to run his Tahoe like that and I could hear him coming as soon as he started his truck (about 6 houses down) and it sounded like it was hauling *** and he was just barely moving down the street.
To each their own, but why spend money to hurt your performance?!?!?!?!?!?!
I agree!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 AM

ah ok so would i be better off going with a glasspack? i have a 10 series on there now but still want it a little louder would a glasspack still retain some backpressure yet give me the loud sound that i want?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 PM

Your thread inspired me to research...
apparently any amount of "backpressure" is bad... but "velocity" is good.

All in all, glasspacks would sound rad!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:28 PM

More velocity is only good if you are pushing more air and fuel. The old garden hose theme!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 PM

"Pressure which creates resistance against a flow of water."... I'm still trying to make sense of it... if that definition is the case, isn't backpressure bad? Is there a chance of exhaust getting backed up into the combustion chambers and getting bad mix?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Yeah but if your running a stock cam thats not gonna happen. Taking a stock motor and making free flow exhaust will not add power. Some people have it in their heads that it does, but I would rather see numbers to back that up than just by feeling. All Im saying is there is a threshold between loss and gain. Everything has to be taken into account when building a motor. You cant just take restriction out of the exhaust and think its gonna add x amount of hp. Everything is chain linked.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

i like the sound of straight pipes but i personal hate the way mine are on my truck it has no cats there thrush tubes very cheap kind not even a name brand and they run back to the end of my cab and thats it

i will be redoing my exsausht within the next 3 or 4 months

i will be going with the same kind of set up as wiked has on his truck

i like the way his sounds

and the way he has it set up its not gonna be cheap but i would like to have the power i used to
glass packs have a kakle sound almost like a harley

i would go with flowmaster or magna flow i like there products and they have a good sound

Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 PM

I like the way my 84 sounds. Its got a mildly built 350 but the exhaust is headers to 3in up to the glass packs then 2.5 to the back and turn out right before the bumper. Its not super loud but with the glass packs once you hit about 23-2400rmp it really start ti krack and at 5k well ya its loud and usually scares people as i pass them. But not to often do i run 5k only when i drop to about 1400rpm in 4th ill drop too third ride it most of the way up the hill by the time i hit the top of the hill usually around 4k or so and then back too fourth.
I like the way it sounds but totaly agree with Mr_Shamrock. There are a lot of people around here that you will here from far away sound like there doing 150mph and there really only doing like 55

Quick Reply: straight pipes