Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Injector upgrade to no start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:10 AM
Beginner
Default Injector upgrade to no start?

Hi guys. I have a 98 Sierra 5.7 vortec that is getting up there in miles and I decided it may be a good idea to "upgrade" the fuel system to the newer style spider injectors that use individual injectors instead of the popit valves. My and a buddy tore the top down yesterday but, unfortunately, due to a badly worn seal in the upper heater hose quick connect, couldn't finish until today. I also went ahead and replaced the distributor and new plugs and wires due to an occasional "chugging" at around 65-70 mph that would clear up in a few seconds if I let off the throttle. I should add that the truck started and ran fine before the install. I was horrified at the filth inside the lower manifold and overall condition of the old injectors. Anyway, got it put in, set the block to TDC with the balancer / timing cover marks. Made sure the rotor was at #1 and all plug wires correct and tried to start. I tried for about 2-3 minutes figuring the fuel system needed to refill or something not realizing I had left the damn serpentine belt off in my rush to get it done. So anyway, obviously it never started. After putting the belt on though, still no start. I removed the plugs and noticed the plugs drenched in fuel in all but 2 cylinders. I figured maybe a small amount of water ran into the intake ports on the manifold when we removed the top portion so, i pulled all plugs, pulled the fuel pump relay, and turned the motor over for 10 seconds or so to try and blow out any access fuel or water. Also, pulled the distributor again (the new one) to make sure that I was lining everything up correctly and that all wires were arranged correctly on the cap. Still no start. I haven't checked things like the crank sensor or ignition coil because I figured there would be no issue with the existing ones since the truck started and ran fine before this. I did notice though when I was bolting the upper intake manifold back on, that the rim around the new injector setup that houses the big plug beside the fuel line entry points, was holding the manifold up. I ran a little lube around the o-ring because it looked like it wasn't seating high enough into the manifold and seemed to fix the problem. Anyway, I'm at an impasse. I have a shop down the road about 1 1/2 miles that I'm calling tomorrow but, this is my only vehicle right now so it's kind of a pressing issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (add: I did have a friend verify the tdc with the finger over the hole method just to be sure i wasn't 180 out) Thanks in advance.