Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Lamp Replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Beginner
Default Lamp Replacement questions

For those who have the fog lights on there GMC Sierra's. The bulb is called 5202 or H16. Which brand did you find worked best for an aftermarket replacement if you went to an LED bulb. I see lots of results and reviews for JDM Astar, not familiar with it. Some say everything fits great others, say modification needed. Just wanted to check with the group and see what others thoughts were.

Going with my Silverstar Ultras for the main lamp, always used them and never been unhappy.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Sorry I can't contribute to your thread MenaceRx but I'll definitely will be following. I'd like to do the upgrade to on my 2007 Silverado

Old 05-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Have you looked on ebay? I've had a lot of luck purchasing lights up there. I'm curious what you find as well for my 13

Old 05-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Beginner

I have found a couple options, with Sylvania I know fitment is going to be good. Since they do the stock lamps. But with a company like JDM thats a 100% aftermarket lamp fitting on the bulb. They say it fits but I have read reviews that show both it work and it not quite without some modifications. So I was hoping someone on the boards here could let me know if they have swapped out the stock bulbs for brighter LED bulbs in the fogs, and what brand they went with.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Here is CarID's option for LED fog lights. Very affordable. The two reviews seem to be good. CarID is one of TruckForums sponsors and I have had great experiences ordering from them in the past

Lumen® - GMC Sierra 2013 Fog Light LED Bulbs

Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Administrator

I am very intrigued now and I am considering putting Silverstar Ultra's in for low beams and ZXE's for high beams.

Do you have any pictures of the truck's front end at night? I know it's hard to get a picture of headlights though haha

Old 05-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Beginner

I had silverstars in my silverado for both high and low beams. Light output was always nice, and didnt get me in trouble with va and its state inspection requirements. The new pair will be here tomorrow, i got them on amazon. Thats the cheapest place by $15. $36 on amazon for a pair of h11 bulbs, they are 51 in Autozone.

Going to order those leds for the fogs this weekend.

And no i didnt think to take pictures but i will when i put them in the denali for you

Last edited by MenaceRx; 05-11-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Beginner

Got the Silverstars in today. Tried them out tonight. Much brighter and a whiter light. They were no easy task to install. The 6.2L motor setup in the AWD Denali is a different layout then my 4.8L Silverado was. Had to work around some obstacles. But got them in. I tried to take pics tonight in the field near my house but the phone cam cant capture the light right. So I will take my Nikon out later in the week for it.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the tip re: shopping Amazon for the lights. I think Im gonna to the low beam and fog light switch. Then as funds replenish I'll do the high beam
Thanks

Old 05-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Beginner

You are welcome. Also make sure you account for the fact that the LED Fogs are per bulb, not a set. So 64 for the Plasma LED replacement from CarID. I am going to get them but they got bumped by a pay period. Other priorities. But the Silverstars are cheapest by far on Amazon and come in 2 days if you have prime.

Quick Reply: Lamp Replacement questions