Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   low temp thermostats (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/low-temp-thermostats-2571/)

Ballzac 02-11-2007 07:15 PM

low temp thermostats

im think about buyin one of these for my truck what kind of afected will it have on it? will it make it heat up faster will it mess my guage up it the dash

popo 02-12-2007 04:12 PM

RE: low temp thermostats

I just ordered a 180 degree one from jet. I should get it in the mail today and I'll let you know what happens. the theory is that the engine will be cooler and it flows better than the stock ones. Cooler engine temp means better throttle response.

MrLM7 02-12-2007 09:06 PM

If you get one, get the 160 degree one. It won't mess up your temp gauge, but it will make your truck run cooler. Also, get a bottle of water wetter. It is also a great time to do the throttle body bypass. Make sure you get the correct one. What year and engine do you have? Gives you more power and better gas mileage.

chevy1224 02-12-2007 09:11 PM

I would stick with a 180 if you live anywhere near cold weather, or your truck wont start as good.

MrLM7 02-12-2007 09:35 PM

Wentup to Kentucky after installing the thermostat. Started fine at 15 below 0. Ran smooth and everything. Did it again after the throttle body bypass, and that wasn't so smooth. If I lived up there, would keep the thermostat, but undo the bypass in the winter time.

MrLM7 02-12-2007 09:48 PM

Nevermind on me asking what year you have, I read your profile. 99's require the expensive one(sorry). By "expensive one", I mean the one that includes the housing. No more than $50.

SC_Chevy_Lover 02-13-2007 08:11 PM

Have any of you that have installed the low temp. thermostat, notice any increase in power? In theory, I can see how it can increase horsepower, but I don't see it being a noticable difference. I'm thinking about getting one as well, and I'm just trying investigate if it is worth the time and money. Thanks fellas!!

popo 02-14-2007 03:54 PM

I just installed mine yesterday. The temp has dropped dramatically. Te throttle response is what impressed me.Ithink the extra poweri feelcould just be the power I lost when theengine heated up.
Overall I am very Pleased with my 180 from jet proformance. IfI had to do it over I would have gotten a 160 though.
Best 13.00 I ever spent.

Ballzac 02-14-2007 06:27 PM

what is the size that comes in your truck from the factory

popo 02-14-2007 06:49 PM

I'm not sure but the gauge was reading right at 210. now it reads 180-185