Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   low temp thermostats (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/low-temp-thermostats-2571/)

Ballzac 02-11-2007 07:15 PM

low temp thermostats

im think about buyin one of these for my truck what kind of afected will it have on it? will it make it heat up faster will it mess my guage up it the dash

popo 02-12-2007 04:12 PM

RE: low temp thermostats

I just ordered a 180 degree one from jet. I should get it in the mail today and I'll let you know what happens. the theory is that the engine will be cooler and it flows better than the stock ones. Cooler engine temp means better throttle response.

MrLM7 02-12-2007 09:06 PM

If you get one, get the 160 degree one. It won't mess up your temp gauge, but it will make your truck run cooler. Also, get a bottle of water wetter. It is also a great time to do the throttle body bypass. Make sure you get the correct one. What year and engine do you have? Gives you more power and better gas mileage.

chevy1224 02-12-2007 09:11 PM

I would stick with a 180 if you live anywhere near cold weather, or your truck wont start as good.

MrLM7 02-12-2007 09:35 PM

Wentup to Kentucky after installing the thermostat. Started fine at 15 below 0. Ran smooth and everything. Did it again after the throttle body bypass, and that wasn't so smooth. If I lived up there, would keep the thermostat, but undo the bypass in the winter time.

MrLM7 02-12-2007 09:48 PM

Nevermind on me asking what year you have, I read your profile. 99's require the expensive one(sorry). By "expensive one", I mean the one that includes the housing. No more than $50.

SC_Chevy_Lover 02-13-2007 08:11 PM

Have any of you that have installed the low temp. thermostat, notice any increase in power? In theory, I can see how it can increase horsepower, but I don't see it being a noticable difference. I'm thinking about getting one as well, and I'm just trying investigate if it is worth the time and money. Thanks fellas!!

popo 02-14-2007 03:54 PM

I just installed mine yesterday. The temp has dropped dramatically. Te throttle response is what impressed me.Ithink the extra poweri feelcould just be the power I lost when theengine heated up.
Overall I am very Pleased with my 180 from jet proformance. IfI had to do it over I would have gotten a 160 though.
Best 13.00 I ever spent.

Ballzac 02-14-2007 06:27 PM

what is the size that comes in your truck from the factory

popo 02-14-2007 06:49 PM

I'm not sure but the gauge was reading right at 210. now it reads 180-185

Ballzac 02-14-2007 06:57 PM

were do u live dose it affect the way ur trucks starts? dose your truck warm up faster? and dose it affected the heat in the truck?

SC_Chevy_Lover 02-15-2007 12:02 AM

Popo, where did you find one for 13 bucks? All the 160's I've been looking at are right around 50 dollars. Thanks bro!

popo 02-15-2007 10:39 AM

I got a 180 from summit racing.com. I live in Gainesville, Florida home of the National Champion Gators. The thermostat functions like normal the truck heats up and starts like it did before, the only difference is that the thermostat opens earlier @180 degrees and it flows alot better so cooling is also more efficient. this is an exact replacement meaning that you don't have to alter your truck in any way. Just be sure to take the rubber gasket off of the old thermostat and put it on the new one.
It's supposed to be in the 20's this weekend and i'm going camping, I'll let you know about the interior heat when i get back.

MrLM7 02-15-2007 08:03 PM

It also makes more power because your computer adds more fuel when your engine is running cold. Stock, I think the 5.3's have a 201 degree thermostat. Not positive, though. If any of you live in a warmer climate, I HIGHLY suggest the throttle body bypass.

MrLM7 02-16-2007 12:16 AM

I think the stock in a V8 is 201 degree. I think... Might be wrong

smoke20 02-16-2007 12:45 AM

I am thinking about changing my thermostat as well, but the lowest reading on my guage is 160. So how would I be able to tell if the truck was running @ the right temp. For example if the truck were to lose alot of coolant then the temp might read at lowest setting on guage since there is no water to measure. I know this since when my waterpump was leaking and I lost alot of fluid quickly the guage then went to 160 temporarily until the fluid got back to the sensor. So how would you know without an aftermarket guage?

SC_Chevy_Lover 02-16-2007 01:08 AM

I'm don't havea clue smoke!! I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.

MrLM7 02-16-2007 01:37 AM

If your gauge is reading slightly under 210 degrees now, after you install a 160 degree thermostat, it will read about 180 degrees. After a throttle body bypass, it will read about 175degrees. Dunno why it gets lower after the bypass, but it does.

popo 02-16-2007 08:20 AM

alright, I drove last nightand it was around 30 degrees outside. The interior heat warmed up just fine. I have a V6 so i couldn't do the by pass but i wanted to. I think that the temp drops after the by pass because it is one less point the coolant will come in direct contact with the hot engine.

I was thinking about the stock 160 guage too. after i drove on the interstate for a while it went about 5 degrees above the 180 mark.

I think that with a 160 it will read higher than the 160 mark and you should be able to monitor it. Of course it is just another excuse to get more gauges too!

MrLM7 02-16-2007 08:02 PM

For some reason, the V8's stay at the 180 mark with a 160 thermostat. Water wetter helps slightly, though. I think the radiator isn't made to allow your temps to get that low.

smoke20 02-16-2007 11:10 PM

If they would get a programmer to work for gas trucks on a palm pilot like they have for diesel trucks there would be no issue. The one they have for diesels gives you a temp guage on the palm pilot with an actual number. Then I would need no dash gauges at all. I use the palm pilot for my gps maps now and it is nice to have. Also alot cheaper than the in dash gps.

MrLM7 03-30-2007 06:41 AM

Has anybody here tried the coolant additives??? Water wetter, Purple Ice?

benpfeil 04-05-2007 02:33 AM

Is anyone worried about cyinder wash with the 160?

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-05-2007 02:38 AM

I have read so many mixed reviews about that benpfeil. I personally don't think it makes a significant difference lowering the tempature, but that's just me. A lot of the old school gear heads will tell you that low stats in the long run, can potentially damage the engine, but who the hell knows? I ordered a 160 stat a couple of months ago, but they sent me the wrong damn stat! It was for a LS2! I don't know how the hell you can get the two mixed up, but whatever. I sent it back and got a refund, but I haven't ordered another yet. I'm not sure if I will too. I want to do some more research before I do.

benpfeil 04-05-2007 02:41 AM

I have a buddy that has a mustang had he ran into that issue with it cause it scorched the pistons

MrLM7 04-05-2007 02:49 AM

My buddy has had the 160 stat in his for a while now. He has 180,000 miles and no problems... I've got one on mine, too. Adds a lot of power. I'd say do it. Makes your truck run about 185 degrees.