Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2005 chevy truck security light/ABS/brake light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Beginner
Default 2005 chevy truck security light/ABS/brake light on

Hi fellas I have a 2005 chevy truck 1500 4 wheel drive In the last few months I have changed the Alt, Both hub bearings, front axle seals, and Intermeident steering shaft. Truck runs fine.Just got back from a trip. next week on my way into work the securitly light would randomly come on and go off.oil,gas,and temp gage would stop working and then come back on.Then abs/brake light would come on and message would flash service 4wheel drive and service brake system and also my radio would stop working and start again.Took it to the dealer. They said it was my ignition switch $310 they fixed that and called me and said it still had issues with ABS/Brake light and service 4 wheel drive light. They called me 4 days later and said my Encoder moter on the transfer case had an internal short and backfedd current threw it and that is what caused the ignition switch to go out $632 so after 6 days and $1014 I got my truck back.no lights were on for 4 days and maybe 75 miles. I Was on my towork today and everything started up again. Doing the exact same thing. Any sugestions would be great thanks Kelly

Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 AM
TruckForum Addict

Take it back and complain royally until they fix the issue. Another thing you can do is take it on over to another dealership and have another technician take a look and see if he comes up with the same diagnosis.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by 05chevytruckguy
Hi fellas I have a 2005 chevy truck 1500 4 wheel drive In the last few months I have changed the Alt, Both hub bearings, front axle seals, and Intermeident steering shaft. Truck runs fine.Just got back from a trip. next week on my way into work the securitly light would randomly come on and go off.oil,gas,and temp gage would stop working and then come back on.Then abs/brake light would come on and message would flash service 4wheel drive and service brake system and also my radio would stop working and start again.Took it to the dealer. They said it was my ignition switch $310 they fixed that and called me and said it still had issues with ABS/Brake light and service 4 wheel drive light. They called me 4 days later and said my Encoder moter on the transfer case had an internal short and backfedd current threw it and that is what caused the ignition switch to go out $632 so after 6 days and $1014 I got my truck back.no lights were on for 4 days and maybe 75 miles. I Was on my towork today and everything started up again. Doing the exact same thing. Any sugestions would be great thanks Kelly
UPDATE took truck back to dealership on Jan 2 they had it for two weeks and called me . Told be the ABS module was bad.They changed it, kept it another week. I called them they told me they changed the ABS module and drove the truck for three days and it was fine, Then it started doing the same thing again Its been a week and a half and i havent heard a thing. My truck has been at the dealership since Jan 2 WTF???

Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 AM

Bad grounds at the body mount under the driver's door. Ground on the small negative battery cable to the left front frame. Or the ground on the drivers side cylinder head rear to firewall/braided strap. Seen problems with all of these. Also one behind the intake towards the rear passenger side cylinder head on the block has had problems as well. Just a simple cleaning of these fixes alot of problems.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Beginner

I agree sounds like a bad ground, seen some of them loose behind the intake causing lights to flash and also door locks cycling.