Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   The most BAD-ASS mod ever!!! (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/most-bad-ass-mod-ever-2890/)

MrLM7 03-30-2007 06:14 AM

The most BAD-ASS mod ever!!!

So... we all know how much the factory rear end sucks, right??? My buddy has a 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 with 185,000 miles on it. Engine runs strong, Tranny is solid... His factory 3.42's blew about a year ago, so he bought some Richmond 4.10's and weinstalled them. They took a crap and we figured it was a bad install job, so he bought another set and had them done professionally... The planetaries in the rear locked up and broke about 2 months ago. Guess it was just its time.

So... instead of going the same-old route, we went looking around junkyards for something with a little more beef to it. Three weeks and $1,000 later, we had a 14 bolt corperate axle in it. 4.10 gear ratio and a locker, 8 lugs and the whole she-bang... Don't think he has anything to worry about now.

By the way, it was a direct fit. All you need is 8 lug wheels for the rear, and a custom driveshaft. Let me know if you have any questions.

SC_Chevy_Lover 03-30-2007 10:15 PM

RE: The most BAD-ASS mod ever!!!

Changing gears will certainly give you a very notacalbe power increase. I agree with you 100% on this one MrLM7.

MrLM7 03-30-2007 10:35 PM

It's crazy, you should see how big the pumpkin is on this damn thing... He's running 285/80R16 and the bottom of the pumpkin is like four inches off the ground. Massive. I think he said he got it off of a 2500 HD.The brakeshave dual calipers, too.

SC_Chevy_Lover 03-30-2007 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: MrLM7

It's crazy, you should see how big the pumpkin is on this damn thing... He's running 285/80R16 and the bottom of the pumpkin is like four inches off the ground. Massive.

That is funny as hell!! Looks like he is going to have to geta lift and some bigger tires!!:D I bet he could pull a damn house off the foundation with that set up!!

BigTexasChevy 04-01-2007 09:09 PM

50 years from now the truck will have gone through a motor and some trannies, but that rearend will survive a nuclear explosion..in fact when they dropped over hiroshima....that bomb was hidden inthe pumpkinof that rearend you have now!

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-02-2007 01:52 AM

ORIGINAL: BigTexasChevy

50 years from now the truck will have gone through a motor and some trannies, but that rearend will survive a nuclear explosion..in fact when they dropped over hiroshima....that bomb was hidden inthe pumpkinof that rearend you have now!
LMFAO:D No doubt that is a bad ass set up!

shaved88 04-03-2007 09:12 PM

sick setup...i have the 9.5 " 14 bolt in my truck.6 lug. broke a spyder gear due to that timex watch style lsd in itso i threw in a detroit trutrac...indestructable.

MrLM7 04-03-2007 11:32 PM

I think that the factory rearend is the weak link in Chevy 1500's for the past 12 years. Just my .02.

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-03-2007 11:36 PM

I couldn't agree with you more MrLM7. They do decent with towing, but I feel they could go a little bigger for a base model. If I ever decide to get a new truck I will certainly choose the 4:10 option.

smoke20 04-03-2007 11:41 PM

I agree with SC_CHEVY_LOVER about the 4.10, but I don't believe it is that much stronger part wise. It will tow better though.