Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   need help going back in time (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/need-help-going-back-time-15148/)

patrick300 11-30-2010 11:17 PM

need help going back in time

Hi guys and gals i am new to this site, but i am hoping i can find some help. I have a 1995 gmc sierra 1500, and i am doing a complete make over, first of all i want to get rid of all the emmision and just have a nice 305 slighty built engine, first thing i want to go to a carb set up and a mechanical fuel pump, so i need a new sending unit for my tank to get rid of the old pump, will a sending unit from a older tank fit or can i just get a sending unit for my year without the pump? So my next problem is now i have to run the fuel line from the tank to the front of the engine where the fuel pump will be, i guess i can just run a new line, i seen rolls of brake and fuel line for sale so that should be ok. Well now my other problem is that all my brake lines are rusted out and been repaired so much i need new ones, and i would really like to replace the antilock brake to the older style system, i seen in the LMC truck parts that they offer all the lines from older trucks to replace them my concern is the length of the trucks will the lines reach to the back, i seen that the older stuff runs from the master cylinder to a proportion valve left front then the rear goes to the right side then down the frame rail, i am thinking if the wheel base from a early eightys set up is the same as my 95 it should work, well sorry for the story but i need some info hoping someone else has done this to thanks for any help pat

chevychase 12-01-2010 04:09 PM

You can use same unit , just gut the fuel pump so fuel will flow through it. Put a inline pump in before filter. Have to do some wiring.

chrisbmo2000 12-01-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by chevychase (Post 61748)
You can use same unit , just gut the fuel pump so fuel will flow through it. Put a inline pump in before filter. Have to do some wiring.

Well.......that is a little off.........if you get the right block you can buy a mechanical fuel pump and remove the block off plate where it goes and if memory serves correctly you will need the push rod for the pump too but yes ANY small block can be converted back to carb and HEI ignition.

chevychase 12-01-2010 07:44 PM

I was telling him a way so he can use same sending unit , that he has.
That what he wanted to know. I know about block off plate ect. But if he put a inline pump in he could use same sending unit. Sorry for the mix up.

chrisbmo2000 12-01-2010 10:11 PM

no problem chevychase I guess I misread your post, sorry

chevychase 12-02-2010 12:40 PM

No problem . Sometimes i read a little too fast , get excited i guess. I frequently visit
About 7 other forums , i enjoy trying to help others.