Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cat, 02, and now fuel problems?? CONFUSED PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Default Cat, 02, and now fuel problems?? CONFUSED PLEASE HELP

Alright so heres the storey full backround since the truck DIED today i got a 00 silverado 5.3 Z71 totaly stock.

So my check engine light went on for my 02 sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) about 8 monmths ago i didnt have money to fix it being a broke college student so i figured the worst that could happen was bad fuel economy i finally got around to fixing it about a month ago when i replaced it i relized not only was the sensor bad but the wires fell down onto the front driveshaft and spliced thre about 3 of the 4 of them so it was giving no readin at all... anyway so i fixed the sensor erased the light problem solved....right?

nahhht 3 key cycles and 50 miles later code back on but now 02 sensor code for (bank2 sensor 1) understand they run off eachother so screw it i got money bank up for new wheels and tires but hey why not buy an 02 sensor so i buy the sensor and erase the code problem solved..right?

nahhhht now im gettin a code for multiple cylender misfire i think like p0600 or something so i think to myself what could this be plugs wires what ps fuel economy still sucking soo i check the fuses for the 02 sensors and wouldnt you know it one of them is blown the first one it read 02A on the fuse panel in the engine bay sweet a 5 dollar fix erase c odes and carry on problem solved righttt?

nahhht 3 key cycles later that damn light wont stay of now im gett p0420 catalyst below threshold.. i figure its jsut gunked up from drivin on shot 02's for a while so i put in some lucas drive a couple hundred miles still light so then i throw in some techron run another couple hundred light still on so i check it anyway to make sure its still jus p0420 for the catalyst below threshold and now a p1134 is popping up something about a transition ratio in bank 2 sensor 1 i think not positive

this was yesterday and they were the only 2 codes at all so today i get off work truck drives perfect i dont feel any misfires drives good i stop at a stop light light turns green i hit the gas and nothing a slow idle threw the intersections horns blaring and my truck not moving i pull into the first parking lot i can idle while jerking and sputtering like crazy i hit the gas and the rpm gauge does not move its a sputter jerk jerk like a mis fire so i stop literlly felt like the trans fell out not getting any response ..... i let it sit for a second i pull out and try to get it back to my appartment it does the same at a rough idle i realize im not getting back and pull into a parking lot and shut it off...i pop the hood nothing out of the ordinary check sensors and exhaust nothing out of the ordinary i ponder for 20 min and still want to get it back to my appt without a tow so i start it it starts right up idles great for 3 seconds of soo and then sputers and dies out i hit the gas and no response at all

so i got her towed back to my appartment and i still cant think of what it could be and i know they often have problems with fuel pumps especvially with me being a broke college student the truck basically lives under a 1/4 tank so mabe the codes could be unrelated and the punp just went but idk i really need help here guys i usually do my own work but now im at schooll 500 miles from home i need the truck to get the 500 miles back home in 2 weeks wen classes are over and i aint got no tools down here

tomoro morning right after classes im getting the OBD reader and gunna see if any other codes have popped up i havent had a chance to do it but as of yesterday it was only p0420 and p1134 so im thinking it might be unrelated but i know 02's control fuel air ration but im really out of ideas

PLEASE HELP GUYS IM FED UP WITH THIS CHEVY MAN DONT MAKE ME A FORD GUY LOL...jk that would never happen but seriously guys thanks in advance

and sorry for the long post but i figure more backround info easier to diagnose the problem

Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 AM
jvp

Here is the bad news by ignoring the 02 sensor and continuing to drive the truck
you most likely have cooked you CATS. When you drive your truck with an 02 sensor
problem you are sending bad fuel mixture information into your engine. Which results
in to much unburned fuel being sent down your exhaust to your CATS, which fries them

Go on line to Magnaflow to shop for new cats
http://www.car-sound.com/
While your at put in new plugs and make sure your 02's are working or you will be doing this over again.
No cheap fix sorry

jvp

Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Couldn't he just take the cat off and then ram a rod down it until it's completely been emptied? That way it still looks like a CAT but it doesn't cost anything to replace it. I guess it all depends on your states emmissions requirements

Old 04-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Cats could be clogged Hope your not in CA....

I would check your fuel pump out first...
Its an easy fix if you have a wrench, a buddy, and 1 jack stand..

When you turn you key on do you hear the fuel pump relay click under the hood (should be audible from cab with hood and windown open... Do you hear the fuel pump kick on (Whining sound)? If no sound, take the fuel filter off and turn the key on.. If fuel pumps out the pump is just getting weak.. If not pumping, problem solved. You will know the pump is weak when it pumps til lthere is resistance and stops (this was the case in my truck).

If it ends up being your fuel pump heres a break down on how you can fix it yourself...

Call a dealership and ask for your specific AC Delco part number for you fuel pump. Once you get that find a local AC Delco parts dealer (Much cheaper than from the dealership) and buy your pump..

Tools needed: Wire cutters/strippers/crimpers, Racthet and appropriate sockets, LARGE channel lock pliers, Jack stand or 2x4 or whetever else, needle nose pliers, a lighter and a buddy.

Once you have pump in hand its time to get the old one out...

1. Diconnect fuel filler (not filter) from bed (3 screws)

2. Disconnect the 4 plugs under the bed (pay attention to where they go), They are located kinda behind the licence plate...

3. Unbolt all the drivers side bolts that hold the bed down.

4. Unbolt the middle 2 bolts on the pass side.
Loosen (a lot) the remaining bolts. Leave a few threads attached..

5. Have buddy pick up drivers side of bed and place jack stand (or whetever you can get) inbetween frame rain and bed.

6. Disconnect all hoses and connections on old pump (be careful not to kink hoses).

7. Loosen the STUPID ring, should be pretty obvious...

8. Remove pump.

9. Compare plugs on old pump and new pump and swap in necessary. I had to cut the old plug off and install new one (I soldered it on, but if you dont have access no worries, the crimp connections shrink wrap(this is where the lighter comes into play, be careful)...

10. Snap fuel level arm on (be careful)

11. Insert new pump...

12. Cram pump down in there (it is spring loaded) and try and twist the ring back on... Your buddy might need to help here...

13.. Re connect hoses and connections.. You are almost done.

14. Put gas cap back on and try and start the truck.. If all went well you should be good to go, if not then you need to go back through and figure out what you did wrong.

15. Bolt bed back down, reconnect the 4 connections, and screw the fuel filler back in (without gas cap). Put gas cap back on and the job is done.. This should take you about 1 hour to complete from start to finish the hardest thing being getting that ring back on to hold the pump down...

Old 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Thank you everyone yall helped alot especially you harderthenrocks when i got the chance today i grabbed the obd reader and no codes came up i had a heart feeling it was the fuel pump since i did my dads 01 silverados 3 times once i realized i didnt even need to the grounds just burnt out but anyway i had a feeling it was the fuel pump heard relay click and and pump kinda gargle out and die so im pretty sure that means its DEAD/? right??

anyway unfortunatelt living out of a college dorm room ihave no tools down here except the 7/8th rench i used to the o2s so im forced to bring it to a shop at first he wanted tpo put the airtex in it and i refused used that the first time on my pops and **** brok just after the one year warrentee was up so he said hell put in the delphi 300$ he'll charge me 150$ for labor and 75$ for diag just to be sure its the pump

this frusterates me little since i know i could do it in about 2 hours with a buddy and a csase a beer for free but i aint got no tools so i mean that sounds like a pretty fair deal and i have heard good things about the Carter< Delphi< and Delco ones soi dont mind the delphi

but the gargle gargle sputter sputter crap out i hear coming from the tank means that the pump is pretty shot out right?

thanks again guys i love this site

Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM

If you are near San Diego I will help you out.. I can bring tools...

Yes, if the pump is "sputter sputter crap out" then it is most likely your pump.. bummer man.. also, if you are in the greater San Diego area I can get you a AC Delco pump for a crazy good deal...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 PM

i wish brotha its beautiful out there im in njorth carolina right now though...

whats this they tell me they got to drain my 3/4 full tank 70$ worth of gas and they cant save it and there gunna charge me 50$ to do so is that some bullspit or what?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by gmccomas412
i wish brotha its beautiful out there im in njorth carolina right now though...

whats this they tell me they got to drain my 3/4 full tank 70$ worth of gas and they cant save it and there gunna charge me 50$ to do so is that some bullspit or what?
You don't need to drain the tank. Get three of you strong backed buddies, unbolt the bed from the frame (eight bolts), lift the bed and move it aft a few feet. You get access to the top of the tank that way. Don't forget to disconnect the rear light harnesses under the tailgate and the filler neck (two screws). When I did mine, took me about an hour start to finish.

Last edited by rmck490; 04-19-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: one more thing
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Do what I said.. take 6 bolts out, loosen 2. pivot the bed and prop it up like a hood (drivers side up).

Follow my instructions and do it that way... you dont need many tools..
Tools needed: Wire cutters/strippers/crimpers, Racthet and appropriate sockets, LARGE channel lock pliers, Jack stand or 2x4 or whetever else, needle nose pliers, a lighter and a buddy.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:39 PM

I just cut a hole in my box floor above the pump....LOL!!!!