Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Need lowering kit help..... (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/need-lowering-kit-help-10686/)

Draggin49 07-16-2009 09:23 PM

Need lowering kit help.....

My brother had a lifted 2wheel drive silverado,it's a 2005 4door crew cab,which he recently bought a used lowering kit and put new 22's on it. I went over to check it out, and I think that the place that did it messed up and I need to figure out where. I believe it's supposed to be either a 3"/4" or 3"/5" drop. The front looks great, the tires on the 22's are about an inch at most from the metal on the wheel well opening. The back sits up WAY higher total stinkbug look, there's at least 6 inches or more between the top of the tire and the rear wheel well opening. What did they probably mess up/not do? My bro rolled up and was like WTF????????? I have been trying to find pics of how the the rear should look when properly installed so I can go compare it with his truck to see if I can see the problem. Thanks

Mr_Shamrock 07-17-2009 07:15 AM

What was used to lower the rear? A 3-4 should have a slight rake and a 3-5 should be about level. If it was originally raised with aftermarket rear leaf springs and they used them with the lowering kit like they were factory leaf springs then it is going to sit like you describing.

Draggin49 07-17-2009 10:01 AM

The side of the leaf closest to the front of the truck looks like it is in it's factory location, in the back part of the leaf there is a shackle that has been used and the leaf is attached at the top of it. So there is a very noticeable curve in the leaf springs from the front going to the back. I bet they are the lift kit leaf springs though. I didn't think of that. Yeah he wants it to sit level , so i'll let him know he need to go 5 in back. What would be the best way to achieve this?

Mr_Shamrock 07-17-2009 10:50 AM

If the front hanger is still factory and all they did was put a shackle in the rear then the most it is dropped in the back is 2" (alot if them are either 1" or 2" depending on which hole you use). You need to somehow find out if those are the lifted leaf springs. If you know someone with the same truck you can compare theirs to see if there is a noticable difference in the arch. The lifted ones should be way more U-shaped. If that is the case I would search the junk yards for a set of factory springs and sell the lifted ones. That is still only going to put the truck at a 2" drop. You can install hangers and get another 2" and remove a leaf out of the factory springs to get another inch. Let us know if that is the direction you are going so we can tell you which leaf to remove. I am still wondering if the front is down 3 inches and they only put the back down 2 inches with the shackles than it will definitely look like your describing even if the leaf springs are the right ones. Can you post some pics of the rear suspension?

Draggin49 07-17-2009 08:43 PM

Ok, my brother brought it home. It looks like only a shackle in back. It looks like a good sized one, and the leaf is mounted in the highest point possible. I do not believe there is any new hanger. To me it looks like the factory one connected to the framerail. So to lower the truck the new hanger would make the front part of the leaf sit higher the way the shackle does? I measured the distance from the top of the wheel well on his truck. The rear has 3.5" between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well opening. The front is only 1.5" of space from top of tire to wheel well . It has already tweaked the underdside of the fender. Does he need to have someone roll them ? I don't know what the bare minimum you should have as far as clearance on a static drop for the front .

Mr_Shamrock 07-17-2009 08:57 PM

Yeah if he likes the look the fender will need to be rolled in. It's not that bad of a job. If your handy I can walk you through it. The factory hanger in the rear is riveted to the frame, if it has been changed you would definitely see bolts going through with nuts on the back. That will give you another 2 inches and make it level according to the measurements you gave me. You will need to roll it in the rear as well. Usually with 22's and a decent sized low profile tire a 2" - 3" kit is all that is needed for a daily driver, but if you roll it I think you will be ok depending on the offset of your wheels. Good luck and let me know if you want any further information.

Draggin49 07-17-2009 09:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the shackle in back, and what looks to be the stock hanger in front. Sorry the pics are bad , taken with my phone.

Attachment 2869
Attachment 2870

RUFFNECK4LYFE 07-17-2009 11:52 PM

Just do a flip kit. Should drop it bout 5 or 6 inches.

RUFFNECK4LYFE 07-18-2009 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine with a flip kit in the back and 2 in the front...

Mr_Shamrock 07-18-2009 07:43 AM

Those hangers are welded in so they are definitely the originals. You could flip it or install the hangers. If you flip it then you will want to put the stock shackles back in or it will be too low in the rear.