Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

new ecotec 5.3 vs 2013 and previous vortec 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Beginner
Default new ecotec 5.3 vs 2013 and previous vortec 5.3

has anybody driven both of these vehicles and seen a difference? i dont want to go beat up a new truck on a test drive, just feels wrong lol. i know there is now more power but just want to hear what people think. I had a 2011 with the 5.3 and now have a duramax, considering going back to a new style 1500 but would like more power than my 11 had. If its not a very noticeable difference in the old and new maybe i will go with the 6.2

Old 02-19-2015, 03:53 PM

I may be able to help you with this one. I had a 2009 5.3 and put about 50K on it. I gave it to my son last year and bought a new 2014 5.3. While the new truck has about 40 more HP (355 vs 315), I can't tell a whole lot of difference in the power. They both have plenty for the way I drive. If towing, the answer may be different. I may get 1 MPG better around town and a little more on the highway but I haven't taken any long trips in the '14 yet. I do know the engine in the '14 is redesigned and has direct fuel injection system and variable valve timing along with the active fuel management. Both trucks are the best I ever had. The new one almost has too many gadgets but it is a nice truck.

My son sold his 2011 GMC Denali when I gave him the '09. It had the 6.2 engine and you definitely can tell a difference in the power on that one. He says the 5.3 does all he needs and he can tell a difference at the gas pumps also.

For my money, the 5.3 is all I need and I am completely satisfied with it so far. One point on the '09.......It started burning a little oil (1 qt. in 5K miles) at around 30,000 miles. It now, at 60K miles, is burning 2 qts. in 5k. I've heard it is caused by the AFM system but the dealer says it is within specs. It does't smoke or leak so I don't know where the oil goes.

Hope this helps a little and if you have any questions, fire away.
Good luck,
Slim

Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Beginner

I guess i would be best off with the 5.3 since i can get one in an lt rather than the 6.2 which only comes in the ltz or high country. I dont need all the ltz features just wanted the engine but probably isnt worth the extra cost. I will have to shop around and see what kind of a deal i can get on them i guess!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:10 AM

Good luck with it. I think you will be happy with the 5.3.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:33 PM
TruckForum Addict

First of all on a First Time Test Drive... you are expected to beat it up. That's what the Demo truck is for. What do you want to do; Baby it or drive it like you really drive your vehicle.
Okay now that I got that out of my system...
So I had an 04 GMC as it says in my Signature. It was slightly modified and when I G-teched it, my truck registered 324 RWHP.
I now have a 2014 GMC Sierra with the 5.3. It definitely has more power and has better fuel economy. I drive 500 miles round trip once a month. I can not speak for a 2013 GMC vs a 2014 GMC, but my 04 vs my 2014 I can vouch for it.

On a side note: 2 qts of oil in 5 k miles...? This is within specs from a steelership... Sounds like a lazy dealership feeding you a line of Bull-shirt. 2 quarts is not in specs. My 04 with 190k miles on it only used 1/2 a quart of oil in 5k until the head gaskets started going bad. Then it was using more coolant than oil.
Sorry... ranting....

Last edited by timber74wolf; 02-20-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Radoz71
has anybody driven both of these vehicles and seen a difference? i dont want to go beat up a new truck on a test drive, just feels wrong lol. i know there is now more power but just want to hear what people think. I had a 2011 with the 5.3 and now have a duramax, considering going back to a new style 1500 but would like more power than my 11 had. If its not a very noticeable difference in the old and new maybe i will go with the 6.2
If you were happy with your Duramax... like I'm happy with mine.
But you want to go back to the to the 1500. Why not hold out for the new 5.0L Duramax
Rumor has it that GM is outfitting the Colorado and 1500 pick ups with either the 2.8L or 5.0L Duramax
Toyota and Nissan are also using the new smaller Duramax also

Old 02-21-2015, 01:40 PM
TruckForum Addict

From what I seen at the international autoshow in Detroit last month, it was going to be the 2.8L duramax in the Colorado. That doesn't mean it's 100% a sealed deal yet though.

Personally, I think you'd be better off going to a GMC and getting the 6.2L engine, or getting a 2500 chevy with the 6.0L. Seeing as how you're leaving the duramax for something with less power, I thin k you'll be really missing that duramax if you're going back to a 5.3L. I've noticed that the new 5.3L direct injected engines tend to have more low end torque, but that's only from the little I've driven them. My new '04 silverado has plenty of power for my needs, and it gets better MPGs! That's compared to my old '96 with a 5.0L vortec.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Beginner

i love my duramax i just dont do the towing that its meant for and only used it for what its for about 5 times, once im done building my house and wont be hauling heavy equiptment with it a half ton is all i need as i will only be hauling a 5,000 pound tractor at most. IF i decide to get rid of my duramax it will be in 2016 at the earliest and i guess i will have to test drive a few and see how i like them at that time. I would definatley miss the power and sound of the duramax tho no doubt.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Administrator

To own a Duramax is not say you need it for towing.
To own any diesel truck doesn't mean you bought it for it's towing ability.
Diesels are not just tow vehicles

I bought mine duramax cause I like diesel trucks. period

Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 AM

diesels are great; if you don't have to fix them. the cost to repair is pretty dear. 30 hours labour for a head gasket, $500+ for one injector. Regen and dpf systems now.

the fuel mileage in the new GM direct injection gas motors are fantastic.

IMO, the best gas engine on the market is the hemi.

Quick Reply: new ecotec 5.3 vs 2013 and previous vortec 5.3