Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   New to forum - need help (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/new-forum-need-help-6635/)

chuckie669 03-21-2008 08:10 PM

New to forum - need help

1 Attachment(s)
First off I would like to say hi to everyone and this is my first post on your forum.

I came across a 02 silverado today and sofar think Itsa really nice truck. My 01 Trans am is now my weekend warrior

I have one major problem that I need help with. The electronic area in the dash (not sure what it's called) where the odometer and where it tells you what gear you shifted in, is completely black and not on. Is it possible that the dealer guy before me pulled the fuse and if so where can I find it? I've looked and cannot find a list for one, but I have no odometer, gear list, trip, etc... Any help is appreciated.

If it helps the speedo, tach gas gauge and others appear to be working, but the electronic section in the middle isn't.

Attachment 3268

rxsteven 03-21-2008 08:33 PM

RE: New to forum - need help

Thats another good one Argon might be able to help you with. I wouldnt think there is a fuse just for that. By the way welcome to the site!

chuckie669 03-21-2008 09:02 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't even sure where to start...

72charger 03-21-2008 10:44 PM

I'd also recommend checking the fuses. There are only two fuse panels on the truck. The one your looking for is most likely in the panel on the side of the dash but not 100% positive. I'd try looking for something that controls interior lighting, climate controls, radio, radio controls, and/or anything else that might be interior related.

Check ALL the fuses. Here's a good one for you. My neighbor owns a Hyundai XG350(er something like that). A week or so ago she came to me and said her tail light was out and she wanted me to replace it. I replaced it and it was still out. I go to get her owner's manual outta the glove box and she says herglove box light stopped working cause she popped it out and asks me if I can fix that too. The bulb is good and it's still plugged in so I check thefuses. AsI start checking the fuses, she mentions to me her dash lights have also stopped working recently. So after I find out the tail light fuse is good, I start scanning her interior fuses. Guess what, when she popped her glove box light out of it's port, she popped a fuse which made her right tail light, glove box light, and dash lights all stop working simultaneously and she never noticed it.

So start checkin!:D And welcome to the site.

rxsteven 03-21-2008 11:30 PM

Dash lights are alwas wit the tail lights. Its a way of letting you know there out.

chuckie669 03-22-2008 08:40 AM

That's pretty funny. I went and got the Chilton's guide for an electrical schematic. Found it in the guide but it seems like a lot of the stuff around it is still working. I'm gonna continue checking fuses and will let ya'll know.

chevy112488 03-22-2008 02:36 PM

i think there's a third fuse block somewhere under the dash isn't there?

MajorSilva 03-22-2008 03:58 PM

My old grand am popped fuses all the damn time. Seemed I was replacing fuses every other week or so. So far only one fuse has popped in my truck, and that was for the interior dome light. Replaced it, and no worries since.

chuckie669 03-22-2008 07:46 PM

Well.... I checked all the fuses I could and found none that were out. Does anybody know what the next thing to check could be? Any fusible links for that or is there one in the dash cluster to check for?

Thanks,

chuckie669 03-24-2008 06:15 PM

Update on the electronic Odometer fun.
Called the dealer and got an estimate for the odometer which is somewhere between $400-650 (Umm... Yeah right!).

Called our local guys who I usually talk to and they stated that they have to send through the dealer and costs roughly $500 (also suggested that I might find a service bulletin to get it replaced for free. No luck).

Shopped around at a few places and talked to DNASpeedos who will fix the faulty odometer for $129 which is what I was quoted. Looks like I'll try and ship it off in the next day or so.