Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

new to the forums, not new to car mods but am new to truck mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 AM

well the things I am trying to do are the intake; tb; exhaust for sure.. then getting a tuner to start messing with shift points and what not.. my muffler I have now is less restrictive than stock.. but not sure how much less.. the guy I bought the truck from had it put on and he gave me a receipt.. idk where I put it tho... i RARELY go over 70mph.. in Az we have had those camera's set up on all the major highways for speeding.. plus I like to go farther to a tank than I do at 75+mph.. I would rather have a better throttle response and low end power for when I tow.. I dont need a LOT but some would be nice.. then its all about the MPG right now.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Ok, get your TB ported, add a spacer, add some electric fans if you dont have any, fans from a 05 with the larger radiator and a 160 t-stat, and a custom tune and call it a day!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM

sounds about right. when you say electric fans are you talking purely cooling fans? My 94 jeep had an electric fan that popped on if I was moving less than like 5 or 6mph.. or are you talking about the deals that you put into your air intake tube and its supposed to be a "turbo" for any car? I assume the cooling fans but I just wanted to make sure : ) BTW have you ever seen or used one of them fans that go into the intake tube? They look CHEAP as crap and more harmful than good.. But looks can be deceiving.. LoL

Is porting the TB the same as boring it out? Just increasing size? or is their more to getting it ported? what exactly does the spacer do? I understand it changes power throughout the rpm range but in what kind of ways?

For the thermostat do I have to replace it or is there a way to "trick" it into 160 degrees? Ive seen some cars trick it with a resistor but I didnt like the way it stuck out on the cars not sure if it would be the same on the trucks or not.

Any preference for tuners?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

The throttle body has a ridge right in front of the flap that needs to be smoothed out. Also making the whole thing a little bigger helps. The spacer adds volume to the intake manifold. It helps atomize the air fuel mixture a little better. The e-fans help in cooling the radiator coolant better with the added t-stat. Just change out the t-stat with a 160, pretty simple. All this together will help alot in throttle response, a little more pep, and more MPG's.