Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   New here, and i have some questions (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/new-here-i-have-some-questions-9760/)

offroadnut193 04-16-2009 07:46 PM

New here, and i have some questions

1 Attachment(s)
hey all,
I would like to begin by saying that this is an awesome forum! I am going to be driving on my own soon (november) and I will be rollin in a '98 Chevy Silverado w/ extended cab (2wd) :D. I cant wait. However, my dad owns a construction/concrete company and it was a work truck almost 7 of those 11 years:(. Im not saying anything is bad about work trucks (im going to use it for work/play), but the guys treat it like a piece of crap. The bed is ripped to bits from all of the slamming over the years, the inside is FILLED with random garbage that the guys are too lazy to pick up, and it doesnt run to much so it smokes like a mother when it first starts up in the morning. I would love to buy a new truck with the money i have earned but i have realized that this is a no-go. So, i want to re-do what i may already have. I have no experience matching parts for trucks, however i do know how to do all of the maintanence because im a dirt bike nut, not to mention my dad has taught me a few tricks ;).

Here are the problems:
-runs pretty bad (I think because the diesel is gelling and needs to be run)
-the bed is pretty messed up
-The wheels/tires are made for a weak towncar :rolleyes:
-The dents and paint need to be fixed up
- It needs to be cleaned

I want to take the truck offroad so here are the solutions im thinking about:

-just run it, see how everything pans out/engine modifications
-lift kit (Please help with this :o I dont know what to look for)
-I want new wheels (black) and tires
- Get it completely detailed

P.S- I just got news that my jackass cousin was driving the dumptruck in the yard and messed up the entire rear bumper when he hit my truck. He doesnt know it yet, but im gonna beat the crap out of him tommorow :mad:. It may be the "$hitty Chevy" but its my $hitty Chevy:cool:

I need your help with all of these things, sorry im such a newb but im only 15 :p. I have driven my dads '07 silverado and i LOVE the truck. I have decent driving experience and TONS of dirt bike experience.

I feel this wouldnt be complete with some source of photography:D:

Here is my 2006 CRF250x (hope this is allowed :cool:):

Attachment 2902

If i can, i will snap some pictures of the truck at work tommorow!

Thank you for all of your future help!!!

GMCSierraFan 04-16-2009 07:53 PM

Well I don't know what to tell you about your truck as that isn't my area of expertise, but welcome and I'm sure that there are a ton of guys here who'll help you out.

I don't see any reason why a simple picture of a bike shouldn't be allowed

dmccartyfan 04-16-2009 11:14 PM

Hey nice bike and nice truck - can't wait to see pix of that beast, too. And don't apologize for being 15 - you're the perfect age for this education. Gonna be a cool truck to tear into. I have a '98 extra cab, too but mine's the 5.0. Can't help you with the diesel stuff :( Body wise, sure you can replace the front fenders and rear cargo box. Might want to scope junkyards for those pieces. First thing tho, don't be afraid to dump the trash inside and out and get 'er good and washed up. Then you can see what you're dealing with.

Welcome!!!

offroadnut193 04-17-2009 12:18 AM

Thanks guys, do any of you guys know of 2wd lift kits and good wheels/tires that would be worth while??

chrisbmo2000 04-18-2009 11:34 AM

Diesel huh....sounds like fun...diesel ONLY gels in cold weather.....put some diesel fuel treatment in it if you think this is a problem but unless its -30 below where you are this is not a problem tell us some more about what the engine does...it could be a simple filter problem have you drained the water seperator?......do you have air in the fuel line?????????

offroadnut193 04-19-2009 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000 (Post 43923)
Diesel huh....sounds like fun...diesel ONLY gels in cold weather.....put some diesel fuel treatment in it if you think this is a problem but unless its -30 below where you are this is not a problem tell us some more about what the engine does...it could be a simple filter problem have you drained the water seperator?......do you have air in the fuel line?????????

Ever see the movie uncle buck? Its kinda the same thing :eek:. In the mornings, when i start it up (maybe once every 2 weeks) it takes a couple seconds to fire, and when it does, a HUGE cloud of smoke comew out the exhaust. Not sure what the deal is, but that is the number one thing I need to get fixed. That, and the hard starting...

chrisbmo2000 04-20-2009 09:06 AM

A diesel is going to smoke when you start it....thats just the nature of the engine........hard starting could be a simple glow plug problem.......are you letting the glow plug light go out before you crank it??????? do you cycle the glow plugs more than once?

6mins2live 04-21-2009 12:03 PM

Cant help you with the desiel but welcome!

Lift kits-just do a little research on some parts web sites and you should get a pretty good idea of what is out there.

Wheels- wheels dont really matter too much unless you wnat to go wide then I would recomend 10" wide wheel, if you want to put off road tires on it get 15" wheels, looks just fine, thats what most people run and tires are much cheaper. get what you like.

Tires- I would say the biggest you want to go would be 33's. BFG All Terrains seem to be the best bang for the buck. Maybe not the most aggressive but they get the job done on and off road. If you are looking for more of an aggresive look try the Mud Terrains. They will wear faster tho.

I would just put a good paint on or spray on bed liner in the bed. It will make it look 10000x's better.

Also, very nice bike! I like those Honda 250's a lot.