Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2009 Silverado 6 Speed Trans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Default 2009 Silverado 6 Speed Trans Issue

Anyone else having issues with 2009 6-speed trans?

Bought my truck new. 2009 Silverado 1500 crew cab 5.3 with the new 6 speed auto transmission.

Since day one it lurches into 2nd gear when coasting.
For example, when I am driving through my neighborhood each morning I cruise slowly and at approx 15-20 mies per hour if I am not accelerating(just coasting on level ground or small hill)it will loudly clunk itself into the next gear. Always just the one same gear (2nd i believe)

First time I brought it to the dealer they said they could not reproduce it. Kinda crazy as it does it all day when im driving.
Second time they reproduced it but said "as engineered" Total BS but from what I understand they can't do anything until it's reported in much larger numbers?

Also, the air conditioning works fine but at high fan speeds it rattles loudly in the vents.
Again the dealer reproduced the issue asap but said "as engineered"

I'm just hoping to get a little feedback here and wondering who else may be having these issues?

Ty

Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Dam man sorry to hear that! Maybe someone else will have something similar to what you are experiencing.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 AM

my friend has a 08 with the v-max and the 6spd and he has gone threw 3 transmissions in that thing (under warranty of course) but he thinks its a ****ing race car and and likes to shift it him self... those new 6spd make me kinda hessitant on the new silverados... im hoping that they are just as reliable as the 4spds that have been used in the past years as i have a 02 with 160k on it and im still on the original trans and i tow sometimes usually my car or friends cars and a boat ocassionaly. good luck just hope that it goes out while under warranty.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Brakes 101,
I apologize you have been having a concern with your vehicle. Have you taken it to a different dealership for a second opinion? I would like to have one of our agents look into your concern further. Please e-mail me your VIN, current mileage, dealership, contact information, and best time to contact you. You can reach me at socialmedia@gm.com. Please address the e-mail to Christina.

Christina
GM Customer Service

Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM

I've had a similar experience with mine on the clunk when shifting at low speeds. It did it fairly often when brand new but I have not noticed it lately. The fan noise has not been a problem with mine. It looks like you may have the attention of someone who can help. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM

Hey,
I'm glad you posted this. I have a 2010 Crew cab with the six speed tranny having the same problem. Just feels like it sputters sometimes, and then when I and slowing down for a light, it feels like it lunges forward too. Took it back to dealer, and they took it for a ride, and told me it was a normal shift? I traded in an 06 ext cab with the same 6.0, and never had this problem. I will be taking it back up now. Thanks.
I have even switched to 93 octane gas from mid grade with no change.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM

SlimJim, Grimreaper105,
I apologize you are also experiencing a problem. If you haven’t taken your vehicle to a dealer I would recommend doing so to have the problem diagnosed and documented. You can reach me directly at socialmedia@gm.com. Please address the e-mail to Christina. Please keep me updated on your progress.

Christina
GM Customer Service

Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Unhappy 2009 gmc 6 speed issue

Thanks I am glad to see you posted this
I have a 2009 GMC with a 6.2 litre matched with 6 speed tranny. I have taken this truck many times to the dealership with a tranny that makes all kinds of wierd noises. This truck is 17 months old I have 159000 km, and when it shifts with any weight or torque to it makes an awful noise like a clutch slipping or the sound of brakes when they are way to hot this only happens when it is shifting from 1st to 2nd gear now some times it will just shift hard or when you are slowing down it will jump a gear. The dealership says that they have reprogrammed it they cleaned the mass air flow sensor (not sure how this affects tranny?) and they say that they can not make this happen when they take it for drive. So i am not sure what to think of this tranny warranty is up in 1000km i am going to take it one more time to hear the same story and when warranty is up it will have to be replaced at my cost funny how it all works any ones advice would be great i searched all over the internet thanks

Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 PM

my son has a 09 with the energy managment system and 6 speed. he is always complaining about the trans, it never knows what gear to go to or upshifts too early.

its a company truck and he knows he will be getting another one in a while so he has only had it back one time, i think dealer said that's the way it works.

maybe the truck does not know what gear to go to or how many cylinders are firing.

very complex system for country boys who just want it to start run and shift smoothly.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Default 2009 Trans problem

I hate to hear about the learching issues in 2nd gear. I have the exact same truck, but I've had no issues at all. sounds like there's a problem for sure. Next time you take it to the dealer, make the service manager get in the truck with you and see if he still says it operates as advertised.

Quick Reply: 2009 Silverado 6 Speed Trans Issue