Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   online service manual? hole in water pump.... (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/online-service-manual-hole-water-pump-2230/)

scauntay 12-24-2006 01:00 AM

online service manual? hole in water pump....

im new here and i was looking to see if there were any online service manuals for a 1990 silverado 1500 2wd. ive got a hole in the back of the water pump. the hole is a bit larger than a pin hole. there is a steady leak of coolant coming out. its not in the seal its in the actual water pump itself. im going to flush out the system and try some stop leak on it tomorrow. but incase that doesnt work i was wondering if there were an online service manual.

thanks,
S

HemiKiller 12-24-2006 01:50 AM

RE: online service manual???

The hole below the seal in the pump itself? If so, that is the weep hole. When it starts to "weep"its time for a new pump. As for online manuals I havnt found any but will let you know if I do, let us know if you find one and good luck.

GEARHEADRT 12-24-2006 01:02 PM

I agree, hemikiller.

HemiKiller 12-24-2006 01:41 PM

Auto Zone has a site alldatadiy.com that might have what you are looking for but at $25 a year I dont see how much better this could be than a Haynes or Chilton manual.

under construction 12-24-2006 07:38 PM

yes, i searched for one and had no luck...i just went out and bought it...haynes...its ok, it tells me some stuff but other things i want to know it dont say...

scauntay 12-24-2006 09:21 PM

thanks guys, i saw that one for auto zone too, but would rather not pay yearly for one. anyway, i found my problem. in the back of the water pump there is a plate bolted on. and on that plate there is a its bitsy hole that sprays out water. ill post a picture if i find one online.

here is the picture. its right on the crease of the metal. just a thought as a temp fix, maybe i could put some jb weld on it for now. but how hot does it get there, i know jb weld holds up to 500 degrees F. i know it gets pretty dag nab hot there, but how hot?

smoke20 12-25-2006 12:23 AM

As far as online manuals there are not any that I can find either. Your best bet is to buy a chiltons AND haynes manual. Chiltons may be hard to find and I can try to send one if you send me a check for cost and shipping. I won't add extra. I have a reliable source. Chiltons tends to have better and more complete pictures, while haynes has better wording. I tend to lean toward chiltons since I learn better fom pictures than words.

HemiKiller 12-25-2006 10:55 AM

J B weld will probably hold for a little while, it should not get up to 500 and the marine J B should do ok with the coolant, I have put temp fixes on radiators with it. You might be carefull about how far you push it in the hole though you dont want that stuff getting in the coolant system.

JohnO356 12-25-2006 08:54 PM

This is a site for the online Mitchell manuals. They're excellent- especially the electrical. I've got an '88 Chev PU, and paid $14.95 for a one month access to the "91 PU manuals in order to do a wiring diagram comparison. They have a yearly rate also, and I believe you can add a second vehicle.

Forgot to add the URL: http://www.eautorepair.net/

scauntay 12-25-2006 09:26 PM

thanks guys. ill have to check out autozone or somethin to see if i can get just the plate and a seal for the water pump. i did put jb weld on it yesterday, its been just over 24 hours since i let it harden. i made sure that i didnt put it into the hole. hope it holds up for a while till i get the parts. and for the manual, i might have to get one at the store as well. thanks again.