Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   ouch.... (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/ouch-4554/)

03missouridirt 09-18-2007 02:27 PM

ouch....

On my way to work yesterday(running late), I suffered a bit of anxiety...I jumped on the throttle pretty hard after turning onto a sideroad, and my engine hit the rev-limiter... I didn't think much of it at first, I figured that it broke traction a bit and I just didn't get any tire squeel...

However, I was on my way to the "city" last night , a 2 hour commute, and thought that my truckslipped a little goingin 3rd and drive.... We marched on and everything seemed normal for the most part. On our way back home, I had the cruise set at 70mph. We were toolin' along fine, came up on a hill and all of a sudden the truck shifted to 2nd gear and it was all over for the tranny...lost 3rd and drive. This SUCKS! Thank god for extended warranties...

chevy112488 09-18-2007 02:29 PM

RE: ouch....

wow, that sucks... i know the feeling, i had about thirty minutes warning on my s10 before the tranny completely fried

72charger 09-18-2007 07:40 PM

Dang! Sounds like you did a good job. Must have burned up the clutches in it or something. Did it havea tranny leak that you no of?

03missouridirt 09-18-2007 11:12 PM

Nope. Nothing previous...except a few times that I thought the thing may have slipped a little. Most of my "hot-rodding" is in 1st and 2nd, I normally don't stand on it all the way through the gears.

I did a little research on the net and found that this is a not so uncommon problem at around the 60K mile mark...my truck is at 68K. Seems that it usually goes the way mine did(3rd and drive), and it usually isn't from a tranny that has been abused. I didn't feel that I had "abused" it enough to break it anyhow...

Oh well, hopefully the extended warranty will take care of it...

Argon 09-19-2007 03:38 AM

is it gm extended warranty??

jcbst12 09-19-2007 07:42 AM

Did you get the tranny fluid serviced? This is making me nervous cause mine has 74K on it and it is older. I had the tranny filter changed and the fluid flushed out. Am I still going to be screwed at some point? Do I have to baby this thing? Oh and is my programmer going to screw it up you think ( I have the performance shift option turned on ).

BlackHorse99 09-19-2007 08:25 AM

ouch, i know that feeling all too well, driving a long and she lets loose. i didnt have a warranty though, so your in good there

gpet6669 09-19-2007 09:20 AM

What tranny do you have? Becouse my 4L60E is holding strong at about 153,000 and has never been rebuilt. So I am just wondering what tranny you have.

jcbst12 09-19-2007 09:47 AM

I believe it is a 4L60E. I did a tranny flush with a B&G machine so far but nothing else. I haven't had a problem with it but when I got it the tranny fluid was pretty bad. Now its fine but just one time it did something weird. I got to stop light and stopped completely on a slight incline. I started out pretty quick and it didn't move. I laid off the gas and hit it again and it went just fine. Only time it ever did it but its got me worried. Some say its a computer problem and needs flashed, other people tell me it needs the filter replaced and others tell me its a sign it about to die! I don't know what to do.

03missouridirt 09-19-2007 02:24 PM

Argon, it isn't GM extended. I can't remember the name of the company, but the last time I had my truck in for work I was told that they are a pretty good company. Service dept. called today and offered up a new tranny for $2499, 3yr/10K warranty and said that would be cheapest route to go(for fear of what they may find inside tranny). I informed them of my warranty and they are saying that in order to cover it, they now have to go ahead and break apart my old one and see if it is salvageable...if they deem it not to be, the warranter will send out an adjuster to verify and then we go from there on a new tranny. I am fearing that I am gonna get hammered on some labor cost in the deal, but what to do...I gotta have my ride fixed!