Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

why did my battery just die?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 PM
Beginner
Default why did my battery just die?

Hello everyone, I have a 2002 chevy silverado 2500 . I don't drive it but i turn it on and let it run for about 30 minutes every 2 two weeks or so to keep it in shape. I bought new battery 8 months ago. After 8 months, the battery has completely died. I went to autozone to recharge it, but they said it wouldnt even hold a charge.Was this my fault? should I have let it run more often? what do y'all think? I forgot to note that the truck is slightly at an angle, nose down first. The driveway isnt quite flat Would that slight angle mess up the battery?

Last edited by truckninja; 07-16-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Well, of course bad batteries do happen...what was your warranty?
Also, 30 min every 2 weeks may not have been fully recharging. If you get back into that mode with a new battery, you could check charge level after your 30 min run.
Maybe you have an excessive parasitic drain? https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
Sitting at an angle should not be a factor if your fluid level was correct.

Gerald

Old 08-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Beginner

Hey Gerald, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your input, I will definitely start checking the battery now. im not sure what my warranty was exactly. i didn't even know i had it until the employee told me so. and by the fluid level you mean the fluid in the battery correct?

Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Yes, the battery fluid level. If low, sitting at an angle could expose the plates to air which damages them.

On my 2003 Silverado, parasitic drain has been a recurring problem. Back when it was under warranty, the dealer blamed the ABS pump and said he replaced it. But there have been several instances since then when the battery was dead after being parked for a day or two. I suspect the problem might be the instrument panel since it has also had many problems. I re-flowed many solder connections in it and it is now working, but the high beam indicator is always on whenever it is parked.
Did you get a new battery and did that seem to fix the problem? Anyway, if you continue to have problems, you could check for parasitic drain.
Gerald