Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

'06 Silverado -no air coming from vents

Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Beginner
Default '06 Silverado -no air coming from vents

I have a '06 Silverado with automatic temp control. The air has stopped blowing so I replaced the resistor. Still not working. Is the next step to replace the blower motor? I cannot see how to remove the blower motor. Do I need to purchase an online manual? Would that solve my problems?

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by DPD3000
I have a '06 Silverado with automatic temp control. The air has stopped blowing so I replaced the resistor. Still not working. Is the next step to replace the blower motor? I cannot see how to remove the blower motor. Do I need to purchase an online manual? Would that solve my problems?

Thanks.
Well first you want to check to see if you have 12 volts going to the blower. Was your old resister bad. I take it you are just guessing at all this.In your case a manual would be worth its weight in gold.So test for voltage and get back to us.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Oh, it is all a guess. Would an online manual would be sufficient or should I go with the paper version.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Oh, it is all a guess. Would an online manual would be sufficient or should I go with the paper version.

Anything you can get your hands on will work. Do you know how to test for voltage.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Not really. I have scoured the internet but am only finding general information. I do know that I will need to test for power at the wiring harness connectors. The replacement resistor has the power to the blower motor piggybacking from a single incoming wiring harness connector. I would therefore think that I would get two positive readings for power from the wiring harness (coming in and the passthru).

How much of a positive signal am I looking for, 12v?
Would any positive signal be good at this point?

I do believe that I know the proper procedure but will outline and let you correct if necessary.

1. Pull the harness out from the resistor
2. Turn key to on and make sure blower is activated via ac
3. Place red end into each of the end of the wiring harness while black is touching the frame or other ground.
4. Look for 12v result.

At this point, if I have power to the blower motor then it would indicate that this issue is with the blower motor?

Last edited by DPD3000; 12-12-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM

Not really. I have scoured the internet but am only finding general information. I do know that I will need to test for power at the wiring harness connectors. The replacement resistor has the power to the blower motor piggybacking from a single incoming wiring harness connector. I would therefore think that I would get two positive readings for power from the wiring harness (coming in and the passthru).

How much of a positive signal am I looking for, 12v?
Would any positive signal be good at this point?

I do believe that I know the proper procedure but will outline and let you correct if necessary.

1. Pull the harness out from the resistor
2. Turn key to on and make sure blower is activated via ac
3. Place red end into each of the end of the wiring harness while black is touching the frame or other ground.
4. Look for 12v result.

At this point, if I have power to the blower motor then it would indicate that this issue is with the blower motor?
Ok you say you have automatic temp control. Can you turn your blower on with the switch and will the blower work with the AC. Ok you say( if )I have power. Do you have 12 volts to it or not.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Stripped the three wires bare and tested with volt meter. Nothing. I am able to adjust the fan speed manually.

I did verify the volt meter was working by testing the lighter.

The only thing that has changed since the air stopped blowing was when I replaced the resistor. When I clipped the wires from the original resistor, I attempted to do all three at once. When I did so, there was a spark. I hope that by not doing them one at a time I did not cause further damage.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Stripped the three wires bare and tested with volt meter. Nothing. I am able to adjust the fan speed manually.

I did verify the volt meter was working by testing the lighter.

The only thing that has changed since the air stopped blowing was when I replaced the resistor. When I clipped the wires from the original resistor, I attempted to do all three at once. When I did so, there was a spark. I hope that by not doing them one at a time I did not cause further damage.
So the fan never works regardless what ever you do, right.
What did the meter read when you tested the lighter.
Why did you replace the resistor if it was blowing.
You use the word CLIPPED ? ? ? I hope that is your word for unplugged the connector.
Why would you put all three wires together a once, the factory didn't so why did you.And yes if there was a big spark, you blew a fuss or shorted something.
Hay guys you can chime in anytime you want to

Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Let me say that I really do appreciate your help in figuring out this.

1. The fan worked until it stopped blowing air completely approx a week to 10 days ago. Originally I thought it was a blower motor. After doing research, decided to try the resistor change first.
2. The meter lit-up. I am using a lamp tester.
3. it wasn't blowing.
4. The replacement resistor required that I clip the original wire harness connector. I unplugged the connector, everything was off and I attempted to clip all three at once at the base of the connector.
5. Clipped all three as power was off and didn't know any better.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Beginner

the 40 amp fuse/circuit under the hood has been blown. off to get another one and then I will retest the voltage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '06 Silverado -no air coming from vents