Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Questions about new '08 (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/questions-about-new-08-a-5827/)

eyemitalian 01-14-2008 07:31 PM

Questions about new '08

Hi all, bought the '08 Silverado about 5 days ago. Researching has shown me that Silverado changed their body style with the '07. Even still, it is not a loaded truck so I'm looking to do a few add-ons but am having trouble finding part #'s for the 08. I'd like to add a dual exhaust but the latest I can find is for the pre '07 years. Aftermarket not caught up yet? I'm assuming most parts for an '07 will fit the '08 cause there was really no change in design.

Lastly, does anyone know if these trucks come pre-wired for power windows, locks? A project I wouldn't mind undertaking once the weather warms up. I just don't feel like rippin the door panels off yet being only 5 days old to get that answer!!! Thanks!

Ciao

72charger 01-14-2008 10:36 PM

RE: Questions about new '08

As far as exhaust goes, you'll be better off simply taking it to a muffler shop and having them weld on a muffler of your choice. They are universally designed and it will be much cheaper and quicker then ordering say a Gibson catback exhaust or something along those lines. I payed $245 out the door for a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler with the single inlet/ dual outlet design and had dual chrome pipes directed out in front of my right rear tire similar to the Ford Lightnings. It sounds awesome and I paid a fraction of what it would cost to buy it online and pay someone to install it.

As for the window thing, I couldn't tell you on the 08's. I believe the earlier ones(2000-03ish for example) already had the electric window wiring harnesses in the door so that all you have to do is change the window regulator out and also the door panel would need to be changed to one with the buttons obviously. On an 08 you can gaurantee one thing, the parts aren't cheap and they are probably on back order since they are still making them and any extra parts are going towards fixing ones people have already wrecked (I have already seen a wrecked 08 LOL).

05RST 01-15-2008 04:43 PM

The 07 exhaust should fit no problem. I dont think that they changed anything underneth the truck. The wires should aready be in the harnes in the door panel. All you are going to have to do is install the window regulator and the window motor and then you are going to need the window switches and you should be able to just plug them in.

smoke20 01-15-2008 06:26 PM

Custom exhaust is the way to go. Which motor do you have?

eyemitalian 01-16-2008 10:51 AM

Thanks all for the replys. Yes, I am wanting to do the complete exhaust kit. Thinking of the Gibsons. Only problem though is that all their '07-'08 kits are for the 4.8L up. Mine is tiny at 4.3L V6. I emailed Gibsons and they wrote back stating they are sorry, but they do not have a kit available for the 4.3!!!!! Grrrr.

So someone tell me why the kit for the 4.8L won't fit the 4.3L. I don't know much about this stuff but I do know I like the sound and performance as I had it on my last Ranger! I will be checking the pre-wiring in the spring, hopefully it is all there!

Ciao

gpet6669 01-16-2008 02:16 PM

First one is a V8 and one is a V6. Second (kinda still the first) they will have different needs for the exhaust. Basically one is bigger which will put out more exhuast. Also the two different motors should have different exhuast pipe routes.

72charger 01-16-2008 03:11 PM

Why do you want Gibson? There is no performance or sound benefit to their exhaust VS getting it done at an exhaust shop? Do you just like the bragging rights of saying you spent the extra money on Gibson exhaust? I'm not trying to offend anyone here but I think it's hilarious someone would spend twice as much as what I spent to have their truck sound and performexactly the same as mine.

eyemitalian 01-16-2008 10:16 PM

No offense taken 72charger. I'm not looking for braggin rights cause I spent more money. Just that the Gibson is about the only one I could find to fit the '08. If you noted in my post, I specifically mentioned that I know very little of this stuff, although I do know that if I were to go out and buy a muffler (single in, dual out), the shop would still have to pipe it for duals. And with labor, it'd be about a wash cost wise from doing the kit with my buddy. I do find it kind of hilarious though that it seems you are trying to take bragging rights for your do it yourselfer method when not all care to do it that way nor don't care if they drop a little extra which is none of anyones business anyways.

So as far as the other replies, thanks and I will speak with some people to see if the kit for the 4.8 would be OK for the little ole 4.3 I own!

Ciao

72charger 01-16-2008 10:39 PM

I didn't do my exhaust myself. I paid a respectable exhaust shop to "make" me an exhaust and "weld" it on rather than "bolt" it on. Like I said, out the door I only paid $245 and it coulda been cheaper but I went to a good shop.You'll notice in the link below taken from Summit's catalog, that a Gibson exhaust setup similar to mine runs $361.69 + shipping and handleing. Then you have to wait for it to come in the mail, then you and your buddy have to bust your knuckles putting it on. I think it is much smarter to pay someone to do it for you, and spend an hour at the muffler shop watching them do it for you. Your total wait time has been cut by atleast a week and your savings should be cut by atleast $100 if not more depending on what setup you go with.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294839968

Also, I don't know first hand cause I've never heard a Gibson muffler in person that I know of, but I've read several exhaust opinions in the past by guys on here that say they prefer Flowmasters over Gibson because they sound better. Again I don't know that. I'd think with the more expensive exhaust you'd be getting an exhaust that sounded better but you won't know unless you here them both back to back I guess.

chevy112488 01-16-2008 11:04 PM

the only difference in the catbacks and custom exhaust is one little "mid-pipe" i guess you'd call it... i dont think its worth the money, but im sure if you wanted them to an exhaust shop could put a new pipe on there...